The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Paul1405,

The genesis of wars can be as you say in events that take place long before hostilities break out. How does that make wars avoidable?

Do we have the foresight to look at an event and tell if it will lead to war? Even if we have the foresight do we have the power to change the events?

One cause of war is too many people fighting for too few resources. The first sentence of paragraph 50 of the Pope's recent encyclical is, "Instead of resolving the problems of the poor and thinking of how the world can be different, some can only propose a reduction in the birth rate."

It is a distortion as one can see a reduction of the birth rate as desirable and also be concerned with the problems of the poor. I think one of the problems is the high birth rate. No species can increase indefinitely, and our species is no exception.

The expression of the above attitude is one of the many events leading to future wars. There doesn't seem to be much we can do about it.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 2:32:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David,

Let me say, to avoid war, it takes a monumental amount of goodwill, foresight and understanding, but not withstanding those herculean qualities I believe it is still possible to avoid war. Through understand of others and their problems, recognition of their legitimate grievances, mutual respect for others as equals is also necessary.
I support the concept of the United Nations as a world body for good, and a forum where all nations and peoples should be able to seek justice without resorting to war.

On the issue of world population, I agree unlimited exponential growth is undesirable and cannot be sustained, despite what the pope might have to say on the subject, keep in mind this is coming from a man whose predecessors thought the world was flat.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 7:31:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul1405,

Possibly some of your ancestors thought the world was flat. That is no reflection on you.

Actually most educated people have known the world is round for a long tome. Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the world to an accuracy of 99% about 2,300 years ago. It is a furphy that most people thought the world was flat at the time of Columbus.

Possibly, we could avoid war by mutual respect and the other elements you mentioned. I doubt that we will ever live in a world where all the divisions of humanity have mutual respect for each other. It certainly doesn't exist now.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 8:49:34 AM
Dear Poirot,

Congratulations on your son's achievements.

There's a lot to be said for home schooling.

You must be very proud.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 11:08:43 AM
otb, Foxy,

Thanks guys : )

(There's a lot to said for youngsters having the freedom and opportunity to pursue their passions)
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 11:22:25 AM
It's easier for oldies to pursue their passions. Don't have to run very fast.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 1 July 2015 11:56:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy