The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I'm compiling a list of succesive governments worst descisions.

I'm compiling a list of succesive governments worst descisions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
G'day there CHRISGAFF1000...

I dunno mate, I'm not sure whether Dante would even want the corrupt bastards down there with his crew ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 25 June 2015 2:20:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

I'm not going to compile a list of successive governments
worst decisions. There's quite a few on all sides of
politics and each and every decision needs to be looked
at in its context of that time.

I read an interesting article by Xavier Toby in the Sydney
Morning herald a while back. Actually, I think it was after
the last election and in the article Toby did a summation
of the differences between Liberal and Labor.

According to Toby if you voted:

Liberal - you're selfish.
Labor - you want to waste money.
Liberal - you have no hope for society.
Labor - You have hope and can cope with disappointment.
Liberal - you think - stuff everyone else. My money is for me.
Labor - you believe in sharing for the good of society but
don't mind that a lot of people will be going to the public service -
the most overpaid, overqualified and least effective workforce in
all of human history.

As Toby points out -

Not much of a choice is it?

Finally Toby tells us that:

The Liberal Party believes in small government with lower taxes,
less money for health and other services and making things as
easy as possible for big and small business.

They believe that if you want something - go and get it for
yourself - we're not going to help you. However - once you get
it we're not going to take it off you.

The Labor party believe in higher taxes to fund a larger public
sector. The idea being to provide basic levels of health,
education, and other core services for everyone - regardless
of how much they earn.

According to Toby its the poor execution of this philosophy
that brought the Labor party undone. That, and the in-fighting.

What the future holds for us? Who knows.
Maybe someday we'll be able to strike a balance - but I
guess for that to happen we all have to possibly be a little
less selfish ourselves.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 26 June 2015 4:46:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, you often speak about fairness to all, so here's a scenario for you. I'm sure you've heard it before.

Take two working people, male or female who work for forty years and earn an average of say $60K per year.

One person is prudent with their money, invests and ends up with what's considered to be too many assets.

The other spends theirs, holidays, new cars boats etc and always rents their home.

While person one is denied the pension and benefits that go with it, while person two is cared for.

Where is the fairness in that I ask?

Governments make stupid il thought decisions which just lead to changes in what people do.

An example is the latest grab on
pensioners with too many assets.

This will see many now stop buying investment properties in favor of upgrading their own homes simply because the family home is excluded from the asset test. (Watch this space)

These people will stil retire rich then draw on their family home by way of reverse mortage and, they will also qualify for the pension. Of cause the negative effect of this, especially if they remove negative gearing, which they will one day due to continued pressure, would be A reduction in properties being built as there would be less investors in the market.

Governments are just too dumb for their own good.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 29 June 2015 10:50:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

The only answer I can offer is - vote for the
government that you think will give you what you
consider to be fair.

After all we elect those that are supposed to
represent us. We need to make our feelings
known. Political pressure is needed. If its
not applied then we get what we deserve.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 29 June 2015 11:24:44 AM
cont'd ...

Dear Rehctub,

BTW - I was switching channels last night and I don't
know what the program was but there was this woman
claiming that she received $1,000 a week in welfare
payments - so why should she work unless she received
at least that much in a salary.

The mind boggles. How could that happen?
I didn't see the full program so I don't know how this
came about. But goodness me. I found it hard to believe.

Here I am - having worked all of my life, raised
a family, never been on welfare, and provided for my
old age because that's the way I was raised. And this
woman was speaking with no shame whatsoever about taking
money from the government and expecting full government
support.

Perhaps I am missing something in the program?
If you saw it please fill me in.
I was thoroughly disgusted with her attitude.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 29 June 2015 12:54:21 PM
Hi Foxy, where I'm living at the moment I have no TV and I'm like a caged lion, so no, I didn't see it but I have heard it before.

From memory this started back in the 80's when the government of the day thought it would be a good idea to support families rather than allow the responsibility to remain with the parents.

We saw a situation develop whereby people, usually men, would do the math to decide whether or not it was more viable to continue working, or just have a few kids and collect the welfare top up. It also made it very difficult to employ people unless they worked a full week because they used to say that once you go off benefits it's very hard to get back on. Casualization in the workforce was not as common then.

The other part that we must remember is that that grand a week is tax free and comes with perks as well, so it like you earning say $100K a year and not having to work. It's a joke.

The really sad part is that too much of that welfare money (I'm generalizing) gets wasted and to think something as simple as a special restricted debit card could go a long way towards fixing that. But that appears to be too easy. Either that or successive governments are simply to weak to make tough decisions for fear of loosing office.

As for who to vote for, it doesn't matter because we never get what we vote fir because they all tell lies.

I do feel sorry for those who voted for the golden egg maternity leave, they didn't realize that ideas are nothing without money. In fact, I don't think it was ever intended to be law. There's a sucker born every day as they say.
Continued.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 29 June 2015 7:23:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy