The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Windfarms Dudded

Windfarms Dudded

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I've just read a claim that the European Renewable Energy Foundation has declared that wind farms are still too expensive for developing countries to use in place of coal.

The windmills produce only two thirds of their output when new, after 10 years. After 12 years, it is uneconomic to recondition moving parts.

If this is true, wind power seems doomed. It's not too good for developed countries, either, given the shrinking economies and incompetent politicians we now have. It's a pity that we have already spent billions on windfarms.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 20 June 2015 1:23:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ttbn,

I'm not sure if you can compare Australia with other
countries, especially underdeveloped countries.

However, the following website may be of interest:

http://theconversation.com/wind-power-why-is-south-australia-so-successful-9706
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 20 June 2015 8:28:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

I wasn't comparing developed with developing. We can afford to experiment, but wind generators have a long way to go before developing countries without their own resources can do without coal. I was merely regretting the money we had spent, now knowing there could be huge expenses coming up less than a decade.

I looked at the piece on SA. I'm sure the windfarms have been a great success for providers, farmers and power companies. However, as a South Australian myself, I have a different opinion. We have the highest power prices in Australia. At one time, the prices were the highest in the world, but I can't say if that is still the case. We also have many people living near windfarms claiming associated illness.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 20 June 2015 9:44:32 PM
I can't imagine how wind farms can affect health, but I know for certain that coal mines have affected the health of workers and surrounding communities for years.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080326201751.htm

I would rather live near a wind farm than a coal mine any day....
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 21 June 2015 1:50:55 AM
Dear ttbn,

My reference to the less developed countries
was simply to make the point that the
populous less developed countries are more
concerned with economic growth then investing
in renewable energy. Therefore they would
tend to see pollution as part of the price
they have to pay for it.

Of course there are problems with wind.
The following article explains some of them:

http://ramblingsdc.net/Australia/WindProblems.html
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 21 June 2015 10:32:43 AM
Suse,

I would not like to live near either.

The fact is that people who do live near windfarms are making formal complaints which will require proper investigation, not opinions. At the moment, the situation is similar to that with mobile 'phones.

The health problems with coal are established, but they have not always been. It could very well be the same with windfarms in the future. Denial is not an option, given the possibility of heavy litigation.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 21 June 2015 12:11:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy