The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do people fear celebrating multiculturalism?

Why do people fear celebrating multiculturalism?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Rhetoric
Quoting Costello selectively and out of context accomplishes what exactly?

What about ritual slaughter to take an example? There are other examples, including new rules for public swimming pools.

<Hefty bill for Muslim women's privacy at public swimming pool

RATEPAYERS could be stung up to $45,000 to install curtains at a public pool so Muslim women can have privacy during a female-only exercise classes.

The City of Monash has won an exemption from equal opportunity laws to run the sessions outside normal opening hours.
Ratepayers Victoria president Jack Davis said it was disgraceful for councils to subsidise programs that segregated people.

"People come to Australia because it's a better place," he said.

"So then you should become Australian and abide by the customs of Australia, not change Australia to suit your customs from another country.">
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/hefty-bill-for-muslim-womens-privacy-at-public-swimming-pool/story-e6frf7kx-1226004006696

People already know that the ethnic tail wags the political party dog. It is to secure a small, winning percentage of votes in marginal electorates.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 1:11:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

Of course there are, were, and always will be
immigrants who abuse our system, just as there
are people born here who abuse our system.

Rabbi Marianne Williamson states that -
if you look at the facts the truth is
that the majority of immigrants, past and present,
bring with them an infusion of the same values
that our ancestors personified. They are people
willing to work hard for long hours to make a
better life for themselves and their families.

She points out that
our children do not stand to be corrupted by their
values, so much as their children stand to be
ocrrupted by ours. The scape-goating of today's
immigrants makes a mockery of our democratic
values. She says that -it is a national immorality when we
collectively say no to compassion.

Anyway, I shall continue to spread the message of
our former Treasurer - Peter Costello
and other politicians who see the bigger picture.
Much as I do understand the fears that are currently being
whipped up in the media and elsewhere. I believe that all
we can do is act according to our own values and
conscience. So while some people will continue to condemn,
I shall continue to inter-act with my Italian, Sri-Lankan,
Chinese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Croatian,
Lebanese and Irish neighbours who reside in our quiet court.
Which is only fitting considering my own family and
ancestry being a broad mix of Russian, Scottish, English, German,
Chinese and Lithuanian.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 2:02:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fox,

Costello was not supporting your opinion on multiculturalism and the endless diversity you would like, he was simply stating that as far as he is concerned, migrants should be accepting of Australian values and laws. After all, this why they come here and they are supposed to be fleeing from totalitarianism.

Further, is this the New Age spiritual guide you are wanting everyone to accept as an expert on Australia? A rabbi, you say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_Williamson
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 3:41:32 PM
Foxy,
You say you understand my concerns about MC and diversity, but this is not reflected in what you say.

You quote Peter Costello, well I recall him saying that the best migrants were those that were born here. Of course he was supporting the introduction of the 'baby bonus' which was his idea.

It is one thing for us to have various state and federal laws about certain foreign cultural practices, but it is entirely another for those laws to be enforced. This is where our politicians fail. For example, look at female Genital Mutilation it has been against our laws for 20 years and yet not one court case has been heard and no convictions made. Yet there is evidence that the incidence of FGM is rising.

Take the matter of forced and underage marriage. Again there are laws prohibiting this but it is taking place. Only the odd prosecution, yet people like Dr Eman Sharobeem of the Immigrant Womens Health Service, Fairfield claims she is aware of 60 child brides in Sydney over the past 3 years. This is an astonishing figure and we do nothing because of cultural considerations. This is MC working?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hotline-plan-to-help-hidden-child-brides-in-sydney-20140302-33sqm.html

The facts are that while we have laws they are not enforced, a blind eye is turned in relation to these and other matters concerning culture
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 5:43:07 PM
Yuyutsu,
You said, "I prefer to keep tolerance and discard the others.

Well I disagree strongly with you. How far do you think tolerance should go? Should we tolerate underage sex and or marriage? What about the slaughter of dogs or dolphins for meat. what about polygamy?

Then there is honour killings and stoning for adultery.

Do we tolerate the intolerant. One of the problems we have had with muslims is that they will not compromise to fit in, it has to be their way at all times.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 6:03:55 PM
Dear Banjo,

<<Well I disagree strongly with you.>>

I can tolerate that.

<<How far do you think tolerance should go?>>

It's a very personal matter - different people have different capacities to tolerate. The best would follow Jesus' advice to turn the other cheek, but that's obviously a very high standard that should not be expected in general.

<<Should we tolerate underage sex and or marriage?>>

Well, who is "we"?

Speaking for myself I have no problem with it, but then everyone is different.

<<What about the slaughter of dogs or dolphins for meat.>>

As far as I'm concerned, killing animals is wrong, but I disapprove of the violent actions of PETA and such: if you kill/eat animals, it's your own bad karma to reap.

<<what about polygamy?>>

Yes, what about it? I won't do it myself, but if someone else wants to marry 3 goats, a broom and a coat-hanger, what business of mine is that?

<<Then there is honour killings and stoning for adultery.>>

This is where I'd personally stop turning my other cheek, but hey there are those who are holier than myself who still would.

<<Do we tolerate the intolerant.>>

Again, this is very personal. I draw the line at where they harm or threaten myself, my family or those I love.

<<One of the problems we have had with muslims is that they will not compromise to fit in, it has to be their way at all times.>>

I think they do compromise, but perhaps what you mean is that it's insufficient for you.

---

Dear OnTheBeach,

<<migrants should be accepting of Australian values and laws. After all, this why they come here and they are supposed to be fleeing from totalitarianism.>>

This is simply not so.

I am grateful to find refuge in Australia, but I didn't come here for your values and laws, as to replace one totalitarian regime with another, albeit lesser.
FYI, your values are not that great and they still have totalitarian elements, I just needed to compromise in order to flee from a bigger evil to a lesser one.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 7:04:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14