The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Time to slash immigration

Time to slash immigration

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
since the lebanese civil war in 1983 there was a tremdous amount of muslims and Christian lebnsase .the ones that value society with hate are the ones we don't keep and the ones want drug dealing and spread there hate need to be thrown out of the country .even Asian theat intfiltrate business and there hate for society Australia is good society we need to make trillion not hate .I find here there cultural divide due to hate .my self a car buff and social wi see a lot arabics dealing drugs and saying that Australia are rubbish .this is not acceptable
Posted by FREEDOM FIGHTER, Monday, 20 April 2015 8:17:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo is correct. There are two issues: sheer numbers and culturally incompatible migrants, a problem that is made far worse by very large numbers, because otherwise people tend to assimilate or get disgusted enough to go home.

Philip S is right about the desalination plants. We have been having a string of relatively wet years, but long droughts are far from unknown in Australia's history. Just imagine a long, severe drought, double the population, and no desalination plants. I well remember those white government cars during the last long drought, as they cruised the neighborhood trying to catch someone washing his car or hosing her garden on the wrong day. Incidentally, desalinated water is 4 to 6 times as expensive as dam water. Pericles and his friends get the benefit of the bigger population, but the extra cost of the water is shared with everyone else.

Nor does high immigration mean prosperity, although this may have been true in the early 20th century. A number of reports from around the world have found that the per capita economic benefit is very small and goes almost entirely to the migrants themselves. See, for example, our own 2006 Productivity Commission Report on Immigration (p. 154 and the graphs on p. 147 and p. 155), which you can download here

http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migration-population/report

Big Business and the politicians want mass migration because the bigger total GDP gives them more to skim and because the distributional effects siphon a larger proportion of the nation's wealth up to them. They don't care about the environment or extinctions due to loss of habitat when too much of it is appropriated for human use, and they are insulated by their wealth from most of the quality of life problems, such as unaffordable housing or congestion, that their policies are creating for other people.
Posted by Divergence, Monday, 20 April 2015 9:09:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, "If our net immigration is over 200,000 it is indeed a problem"

There is no disagreement with that.

As in the UK, there is clear public opposition to the large numbers. Rudd was to find that out when he spruiked his 'Big Australia' and endless diversity. That opposition has been in existence for years, but both sides of politics have not heeded public opinion and nor has either side given the electorate the opportunity to vote on it.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 21 April 2015 6:16:39 AM
The 200,000 figure is close t correct. The net annual immigration figures for the past three years is 190,000/annum not including Kiwis.

As a productive law abiding employer Kiwi, I hope you guys don't want to throw us out.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/migrant.htm
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 21 April 2015 10:52:19 AM
OTB,
The public wont get any chance to voice an opinion on immigration levels while ever LNP and ALP have this agreement to 'not discuss' immigration issues.

CH,
Personally, I would be looking at reducing the number of non productive and cultural incompatable persons we allow to come in every year. i.e. Those that have shown us they will not/cannot integrate and hold our laws and society in contempt.

Only after that phase is achieved would kiwis need be concerned.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 21 April 2015 3:30:21 PM
Banjo,
It doesn't even need to be that intellectual, if an immigrant is a degenerate gambler, a drunk/drug addict, a prostitute or sexual deviant or a habitual user of brothels they need to go first, the wacky Imams and such like we can live with.
I'm more bothered by the fact that there are now over 20 Chinese brothels within a four block area in my suburb than the two mosques and the Islamic centre. Radical Muslims don't usually deal methamphetamine an solicit for prostitution by grabbing passersby by the arm outside their "massage therapy" shops.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 22 April 2015 12:12:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy