The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Thanks Coles and Woolies.

Thanks Coles and Woolies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Has anyone else seen the trend in large retail where they are loosing contact with their customers. Self operated checkouts, pay at the pump fuel and when you do buck the trend and deal with a real person, all too often you feel like you're interrupting their day. Even yesterday while speaking to a person at Bunnings she was checking her phone messages while speaking to us.

You go to the meat section now and there is usually only one person there and they have little to no interest in you.

Bring it on I say because I'm about to reenter a small retail shop and as long as these huge conglomerates are in self destruct mode switched on small retailers will be clawing back the gap.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 19 March 2015 5:55:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good luck with it Rehctub, just be careful where you are located. I am also sick of our supermarkets supplying only what they can be bothered sending our way, out here in the sticks, & often not in a quantity pack that suits me.

Our easy of access butcher is far too unreliable in quality for me to go back to, & the other one is too much hassle to get to.

As a bloke who likes a bit of stake, I am only interested in the best. I'm not interested in something cheap, that I end up giving to the dog, because it is too tough for human teeth.

I drive some distance occasionally to a supermarket that stocks 120 day grain fed Angus. I pay top dollar, but would rather a small but nice bit of stake, than a large chunk of dogs meat.

I do find this one supermarket, in a similar, but probably a slightly more prosperous area has much better quality in most things. Again the fruit may cost 30% more, but you are still eating it 4 days after buying it, not throwing it out after 3 days.

Our local hardware/produce shop is under new management, & now has an excellent range. Yes it costs a little more than that big Western Australian group, but if they can save me a 55 kilometre, & 40 minute round trip, I'll happily pay a couple of bucks extra. I'd rather give a few dollars to them than an oil company.

I'm sure you know all this, so good luck with the new venture
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 19 March 2015 4:12:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rehctub,

That's right - it worries me too. This is what mass corporatisation does? It's dehumanising us. There will be more and more serious consequences in this globalised and mechanised world heading for the New World Order which is real. Have you notice all the brands are becoming more and more Woolies and Coles brands ridding of the smaller companies. There will be no chance for the small guy.

You must have noticed the changes in people's attitudes and behaviour. I think we are becoming more and more rude and bloody minded.

The NWO intention is to destroy communities and turn as into mechanical slaves.

We must stop this.

I particularly hate Westfield. You know there is some sort of cheap corporate tax for these guys who of course don't charge the tenant shops cheaply. This growing corporatisation is making everything the same. I hear its destroying even Southern French villages.

They all have no character.
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 19 March 2015 4:56:37 PM
rehctub,

Here is wishing you the very best.

Hasbeen has mentioned location.

There are lots of single households about and the aged are growing in number. You are going to have to ask them and give them what they want, not what you might think they want. Maybe it is a certain service, eg pre-cut small portions.

Understand Pareto's Law and keep in front of you at all times. Not so scientific but damned good advice nonetheless.

My humble advice is to choose one line, I suggest sausages and do it very well. That will promote your business and the customers will buy other lines while in the store.

How will you, wife and family be able to support one another and still get some relief?
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 19 March 2015 5:01:53 PM
Butch,
Wishing you all the very best for your new business, in your old trade. I wont give you any business advice because, like me, you have been around long enough to know what you are doing.

Someone mentioned sausages, so I might just say that I do have trouble buying tasty sausages. Even from those that claim to be the sausage 'king'. Mostly they are tasteless, so you might keep that in mind.

Good onya ole fella, and you will be back in harness before you know it. Giving cheek to the ladies with smart remarks, a bit naughty but not offensive.

Hasbeen could drop in to your shop when testing his sports car after servicing and give us a report.

Trust it will be a roaring success.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 19 March 2015 8:05:40 PM
Good luck Butch, from this old lefty, as I said to you before, I am not a big fan of the retail "oligarchy" that wants to control all within the food chain, and anything else they can get their grubby little hands on. We still shop for meat from the local butcher, my partner "T" likes the people there, the boss is a Kiwi, and a relo of hers, must be a cousie, works there.
She got some nice meaty lamb necks the other day off the butcher for "boil up", they were right out of "white fella" at the time, can't have it all ha,ha.
Can't beat quality and service, one and two, price and location are three and four.
p/s My partner laments the loss of "mutton" from the butchers, that's all they ate as kids, in rural New Zealand, none sell it theses days.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 20 March 2015 6:50:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy