The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The organ donation hoax - good or bad?

The organ donation hoax - good or bad?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
'The Big Donor Show' was to be a Dutch reality TV show, where desperate patients told of their need for a new kidney, in the hope that a terminally ill woman would give them her kidney over the other contenders.

Except it was a hoax - designed to raise awareness of the dire need for organ donors, or if you're of another view, a cynical stunt to boost ratings.

Criticism came from all over the world - the program generated widespread attention and was discussed everywhere. It was to be the nadir of reality TV, a gross stunt that vindicated the low esteem in which reality TV is held.

So, regardless of whether the producers were after ratings or drawing attention to a nasty issue, it was a complete success.

I for one, don't see why it can't be both - yes, the station is undoubtedly happy with the ratings boost - that doesn't mean it hasn't succeeded in drawing attention to the organ issue.

So I for one, believe it was a great idea. Perhaps the (true) stories of the patients seeking organs will encourage others to donate.

Others disagree, and believe it was a grubby act to boost ratings which shouldn't have happened.

So what are your thoughts? Was the stunt (given that no organs were actually donated) a good idea or bad?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 4 June 2007 11:46:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It certainly captured my attention when it hit the news. I did wonder at the premiss of a "popularity" contest to win a transplant.
Undoubtably a publicity success, if viewer numbers/interest is the benchmark. They say all publicity is good publicity, but I feel that organ donation has been a little tainted by a certain lack of respect for the issue in this case.

Don't forget to tell your families your wishes, the final decision rests with them. It would be a shame if organs went to waste through indecision or guessing (assuming you chose to donate).
Posted by rojo, Monday, 4 June 2007 8:54:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I absolutely loved it!
It was a program dedicated to the founder of that TV channel who had died of kidney disease because the waiting list was so long that he died before a kidney came available for him.

I have watched the entire program off the internet- unfortunately it's in Dutch without subtitles so not much use to put a link here.

It was a 75-90 minute program, and I must say, excellently set up. You wouldn't have known it was a hoax until the very last minute.

It started by introducing the donor (a beginning, unknown actor) who told her the reasons for donating a kidney. She was then matched with about 25 or 30 patients (real kidney patients, not actors).

The patients were not shown apart form life-size pictures and descriptions of them, e.g. age, hobbies, goal in life, job etc.
The donor was given the hard task to eliminate all but three patients who would be able to go on the Donor show.

She began to pre-select patients using a process that made sense to her, e.g. all older people (I think she said over 55) were eliminated and she gave reasons for that.
Then she eliminated the youngest group (under 18) as well, saying that it is much easier to find a match for a younger patient and she didn't have doubt that they would be matched with someone else.
Another criterion she used was smoking- she wanted her kidney to go to someone who took good care of him/herself and smokers would have more trouble to accept her kidney as well.
Her last criterion was the elimination of all people who had no job, no hobby, no voluntary work, and no goal in life. She wanted to donate her kidney to someone who loved and enjoyed life and not just sit on the sofa all day long.
The last three patients were invited to the Big Donor Show.

Continued
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 4 June 2007 10:28:25 PM
At the show, the audience was introduced to the donor, then, one by one, the donor and audience were introduced to the patients (two women probably between 30 and 40 and one young 19 year old guy).

The patients were asked questions by the donor in some kind of game format. Questions were about their life, and how they coped with the dialyses etc.

Video clips were shown of the patients so she had a reasonable insight into their lives and their struggles, but also the bright side of their lives- their loves and likes, their family etc.
All in all, it was very emotional. If I hadn’t known it was a hoax, I’d have cried. Some in the audience did.

At the very end the donor was asked to give the reason for her choice for eliminating one of the three patients (who were asked to stand up) and not to name the person yet. Her reason was that she had the impression that the one she was eliminating was very strong and could cope with the difficulties of her kidney problems better than the other two. Then she named the woman who had to sit down.

Finally, she was asked to call out the winner- the one who was to have her kidney. At some time during the program there was an official with donor papers which were to be filled in on the spot straight after the show.

All throughout the program the audience at home were asked to sms for free for a donor form to be sent out to them. The home audience also could give advice for votes, much like you can vote for the Big Brother candidates.

The number of people in the audience was the same number of the people dying per year because of organ failure.

Just before the donor was to call out the name of the winner, the host stopped her, saying: "one moment please!"

continued
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 4 June 2007 10:33:13 PM
He then announced that this game was a hoax and that there was no real winner- that it would be cruel to play for real.

The patients had known from start and now told the motivation why they wanted to be in the TV show. Of course, because there were not enough donors and all said that they had a much bigger chance of survival if only more people were willing to donate a kidney.

Last, but not least, the donor showed a collection of statements made by government leaders and authorities while they were outraged by the idea of this Big Donor Show.
"This is inhumane!"
“What would the rest of the world think!”
"People are dying, it's cruel".
"Someone ought to do something about this!” etc

I think it was an excellent protest against a government that had made no progress in encouraging people to donate their organs. The government had been very slow and hopeless about organising an opt-out system and Dutch donors are actually decreasing in number.

The host said that he hoped that the government would take their own words into consideration and now do something about this increasing problem- people are dying of organ failure in increasing numbers.

I hope that it will prove to be a success- that the government is going to bring in an opt-out system and encourage people to donate their organs.
I am sure that many became donors that night.
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 4 June 2007 10:40:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Celivia.

Of course there are at least two things going on here: firstly it’s an attempt to get people to involve themselves with the issue of organ donation in a way that gets them personally and emotionally engaged. For most people the issue is otherwise a very abstract one.

The second is that it’s a savage satire of the reality TV format, the cult of celebrity and the value judgments we make about people based on media image making. It seems to pose important questions about how we decide who is “worthy” and who is not.

The two issues are not necessarily unrelated.

Like most effective satire we are left wondering about questions of taste or exploitation. But I’ll pay this one, on what you’ve said
Posted by Snout, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 10:17:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy