The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Free Our Schools

Free Our Schools

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hasbeen,

Why stop there...why don't you call for Oz to wrap itself up in warm fuzzy blanket and block all possible outlets to the rest of the world....just like you've done with your psyche.

We could change our name from Australia to "Insular".

(You're a hoot!)
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 1 January 2015 11:00:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think the author of the opening post thinks this forum is British based!

Personally, I don't care what they do with the schools in England, but one thing is for sure, in Australia I would never advocate turning over the running of the schools to the parents.
We have teachers for that job. If you want to control everything your child learns, teach them yourselves at home.

Hasbeen, there were many native languages in Australia, and English is only a recent one.
Maybe we need to push our kids to learn some indigenous languages?
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 1 January 2015 5:26:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is none of anybody's business whether, what and how other parents teach their children, including languages.

However, those who wish to have children and have them educated by others, should pay for their education themselves (or find other donors who will fund their studies).
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 1 January 2015 7:48:18 PM
Although I dont agree with the original post I do feel a bit like a hypocrite because I remember in the 1960's the classes in Italian and Greek and the worship of Catholicism for the recent Italian and Greek Catholic migrant kids

It seems to me that today these 1960's Catholic Greek and Italian kids assimilated long ago and Im betting that the 2010's Muslim kids from the Middle East and South Asia will eventually do the same.

The only way forward is to welcome these people and include them in our day to day lives rather than to shun them and exclude their beliefs and cultures from this country..it worked in the 1960's with the Greeks and Italians and in the 1970's and 80's with the Vietnamese and Khmers and it will work today with our new recent migrants.
Posted by Crowie, Friday, 2 January 2015 7:36:24 AM
Crowie,

The people that you mention were not indoctrinated from a Sacred Text that tells them not to mix with their neighbours.

Have you not heard of the Koran?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 2 January 2015 8:09:03 AM
Dear Is Mise,

<<The people that you mention were not indoctrinated from a Sacred Text that tells them not to mix with their neighbours.>>

But suppose they were indoctrinated that way - what then is your issue about it?

If their Sacred Text told them not to mix with their neighbours, that would surely include not shooting or bombing them, nor would it allow trying to convert their neighbours or asking them for welfare or any other services or favours.

Had this been the case with the Koran, then I wouldn't see why your objection!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 January 2015 8:31:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy