The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why are domestic rabbits banned in Queensland?

Why are domestic rabbits banned in Queensland?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All
Foxy: Let's not get silly with the same old, same old baloney. Let's try to have a decent discussion on the subject.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I certainly wasn't taking the micky out of you. I gave you my reasons in all sincerity. I don't think anyone else was either. We have all given you reasons If you choose not to like those reasons, that has nothing to do with us. Please don't be offensive by accusing us of not being serious.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 27 October 2014 3:50:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fish example demonstrates how animals imported for aquariums managed to 'escape' to the wild with devastating results. The Greens example shows the policy difficulties and encumbrance of 'do gooders', who in fact are irresponsible, think short-term and are never there to pick up the pieces of their failed policies.

The example has already been given of previously 'pet' rabbits being released by owners who were sick of them and managing to breed very successfully in the wild. There are resident populations of 'cute' black rabbits just north of Sydney that authorities regularly cull. There are plenty of pet rabbits in new housing estates and playing dunes over the Queensland border.

So where is the answer to that question? What prevents owners from being responsible now? Or are the domestic rabbits breeding in the dunes and on new development estates mirages and the Council officers concerned about them, are they lying fools?

I come off a farm and I have witnessed avowed cat lovers dumping their pets outside of town. These owners were too 'caring and sensitive' (and stingy) to have them put down. The same applied to having their animals sterilised. True, many dumped domestic animals die painfully from thirst and lack of food, but some go on to survive and breed.

Queensland does not want to add to an existing problem that is all. Given the costs of controlling rabbits, ratepayers don't want their Councils to have another overhead either and who can blame them?
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 27 October 2014 4:46:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jay,

I should have been more specific.
It was the usual shyte from OTB -
that I was referring to. Read his posts.
He always manages to thrash someone - be it the
Greens (or anyone else) into his posts. Even Centrelink -
though what's that got to do with the discussion -
only he knows
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 27 October 2014 5:09:38 PM
cont'd ...

And comparing fish who by their very nature can survive
and breed in their native habitats with animals bred
in captivity with no survival skills is rather lame.
Nobody has come up with the numbers and
the damage actually done by these domestic pets when and
if they are released into the wild. I imagine that very
few of them would actually survive.
Statistics would help.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 27 October 2014 5:16:00 PM
What about the damage that feral cats do?

Why aren't cats banned as pets in Queensland?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 27 October 2014 5:25:16 PM
Well Foxy, it wouldn't be you if you were not delivering a burn to anyone with the temerity to challenge your world views and opinions. Then you turn around and get all bent of out shape if anyone persists with a view alternative to your own.

As usual, I will not be exchanging insults.

Foxy, "Why aren't cats banned?"

Is that your rationalisation for adding to the rabbit problem?

You expect farmers to put food on your table and you will buy overseas produce if locally produced is more expensive. How is that for an argument to support the Queensland policy on rabbits?
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 27 October 2014 5:48:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All