The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > First it's the teachers, now it's the soldiers. Why can't they see what's coming!

First it's the teachers, now it's the soldiers. Why can't they see what's coming!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I know a bloke who is getting a base salary that is way above his true earning capacity in the real world, in fact I wouldn't employ him, I don't trust him at all.
His base salary (below) is $195,130.

"In March 2012 MPs received an increase to their base salary of 31.3 per cent. This resulted in a significant increase in the value of the salary relative to average wages. At 2.8 times the average annual wage it is at its highest level in 37 years.

On 18 June 2013, the Tribunal issued Determination 2013/13: Members of Parliament – Base salary, additional salary for Parliamentary office holders and related matters which increased the base salary by 2.4 per cent to $195,130 from 1 July 2013"

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1314/ParlBaseSalary
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 16 October 2014 4:36:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner must be talking about another public service to the one I know. I've worked for both federal and state and now, running my own business, interact with public servants regularly. Staff cuts mean that the people I deal with are overloaded with extra responsibilities from the positions that have disappeared - the work doesn't disappear just because the positions are cut. When I was in the public service I often worked long hours (working in rural areas means you often have to drive hours back to town after you've put in a full day's work) - yes, accruing time in lieu, but like many people, often I never had time to take the time in lieu due to pressure of work.

It's not just my own personal experience - one of my sisters is a state school teacher - I'm amazed at the amount of work she brings home - evenings, weekends, school holidays.

Runner's rant sounds like a standard hit-the-public-servant wing, with no idea of the real situation.
Posted by Cossomby, Thursday, 16 October 2014 5:32:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cossomby

I to have worked in federal & state public service & private industry. I know their are some hard workers in the public servant but I came across a number of graduates or kids out of school who had never worked a real job in their life. They actually thought 7 hours 21 minutes a day with flex time was a hardship.

'Runner's rant sounds like a standard hit-the-public-servant wing, with no idea of the real situation. '

no just someone who has seen first hand what really happens. Another inconvenient truth for you.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 16 October 2014 5:55:03 PM
Why shouldnt EVERYBODY push for the highest wage they can get?

The executives and CEOs at the top certainly do.
The politicians sure do.
Miners, the gambling industry, the grog shops do all they can to maximise their earnings. And dont mention the banks.

The teachers and soldiers are just following the example set by our leaders.
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 18 October 2014 10:46:03 AM
Runner: "no just someone who has seen first hand what really happens. Another inconvenient truth for you."

Well, I too have seen (and continue to see) 'first hand what really happens'. Who's truth is 'inconvenient'? Why is your truth better than my truth?

I have no doubt there are slackers - in all walks of life. I've seen some in the public service. But in my experience - federal, two states, mostly rural and regional, they are the exception.

A recent specific example: I got phone call from a federal public servant about a (work-related) email request I'd sent. We discussed this for about half an hour (and she was helpful) - then the penny dropped and I said : 'Hey why are you still at work at 6.30pm?' (I run a home business so I work any time). Actually this is not unique - I can think of several out-of-business hours dealings I've had with the public service.

So for every slacker you quote I can match and double with overworked dedicated people. Inconvenient truth for you?
Posted by Cossomby, Saturday, 18 October 2014 11:35:55 AM
......It's not just my own personal experience - one of my sisters is a state school teacher - I'm amazed at the amount of work she brings home - evenings, weekends, school holidays.

Cossomby, their official school day starts at 9 and finnishes at 2.45. Do you think they should do their preparation, do their marking, and teach the kids in this time.

No! But that's also why they have ten weeks paid leave. Besides, there is nothing stopping them do that work at the school, they just prefer to be home instead, fo many reasons.

The fact is that we are headed for some shaky ground and many won't have a job soon, let alone a pay rise.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 19 October 2014 6:04:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy