The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Warning about windows 10

Warning about windows 10

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
BE Careful with Windows 10.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-technical-preview-data,27816.html

portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the company is using a keylogger, among other methods, to obtain information about the software's performance. This is likely one of the reasons why Microsoft insists that Windows Technical Preview not be installed on computers that are used every day.

"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy stated. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

Microsoft provided four examples, one of which clearly states that when entering text into any application, Microsoft may collect those typed characters. Why? So that the company can fine-tune the spell check and auto-complete features. Again, the Technical Preview is not ideal on machines used for everyday purposes unless users don't care about this "character collection."

Microsoft also revealed that when users open a file, the company collects information about the file, the program that opens the file and how long it takes to open said file. Microsoft claims that it uses this information to improve performance and more. Microsoft also collects information about programs that are installed -- including the device they are installed on -- and uses that information to determine and improve Windows 10's compatibility with those programs.

The company acknowledges that it may collect voice information if the customer uses voice input features, such as speech-to-text. This information will be used to improve speech processing, Microsoft revealed.

"Microsoft uses data we collect from the Program to operate, improve and personalize the Program and other Microsoft products and services," the privacy policy stated. "Some data is stored on your device and some data is transmitted to Microsoft. Microsoft shares some data with our partners to improve how their products and services work with Microsoft's products and services."
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 6 October 2014 5:28:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmmm,
Not another operating version !
Did you see Four Corners last night ?

Oh well, they will never bother to look at my emails, they would be bored stiff.
I gave up on Windows at XP, the only problem is the ATO refuses to make a Linux Etax.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 7:59:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Did not see 4 corners, will try to get a copy.

Microsoft and any American software or hardware company now can't be trusted, they have admitted to putting in back-doors at the request or orders of the US government.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 10:13:41 AM
Well if I start spouting pro neo-con, anti-Russian, conservative Christian ramblings here on OLO, then you know I have been using windows10.
Posted by nowhereman, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 12:46:38 PM
I hate computers. It's the main reason why we're so fat these days, all our business is done sitting on our bums in front of a screen. It's been 5 years since I've actually walked into a bank. ASIO and the FBI know my every online move.
Posted by May May, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 12:57:02 PM
May May - If you have a newer model phone they also know where you are and where you have been, also they can turn on the mic so they can hear what you are saying in some phones and take photos if you have a camera in it.
Welcome to big brother.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 2:16:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy