The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 3.25% pay increase not good enough hey!

3.25% pay increase not good enough hey!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The restraint shown by workers over recent years is amazing. The 'Prices and Incomes Accord' put in place during the Hawke years has been a true economic and political success. This, despite attacks on workers from the conservative side of politics, the Howard Government with its 'No Workchoices',and despite the often obscene increases the employer class have granted themselves without justification, workers continue to show remarkable wage restraint and continue to cooperate with the modern industrial system that has been so successful for so long.
There are very few protracted industrial disputes in Australia today, lost productivity due to strikes is extremely small. Workers in key industries with muscle, such as oil, transport etc have not exercised that strength to their advantage, when they very well could have, and have shown restraint.
With this particular matter that Butch has highlighted, I would think the workers involved are not known for their radical behavior and I'm sure they would have exhausted all other avenues of negotiation with their belligerent employer before opting for and hour off in protest.
On a somber note, any attempt by Abbott, like his hero Howard, to smash the rights of Australian workers must be resisted at all cost, and hopefully Abbott would have learned the lesson the voters dished out to Howard on industrial matters through the ballot box in 2007.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/30-years-on-accord-deal-a-bitter-time-says-kelty-20130531-2nfes.html
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 18 September 2014 6:01:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405, "despite the often obscene increases the employer class have granted themselves without justification"

I hope you are including those federal Greens senators in that.

Yes, my comment also applies to all politicians, but contrary to what you always say, your Greens have few scruples too where their remuneration and benefits are concerned.

Australian politicians compare themselves with the CEOs of private industry, but how many could ever qualify for such as position, let alone be judged for results?

General Comment
Excepting politicians (obviously), pay in real terms has plateaued according to some and spending power will be eroded.

I would agree that teachers generally have more busy work than before, what with reporting requirements and the incessant emails form 'concerned' parents. Maybe if some of the busy work could be cut back, for instance by parents staying out of teachers' faces?
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 18 September 2014 7:10:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Beach, Greens, Greens, Greens, you are only sore that your fearless leader Jim Saleam from 'The Australia Lunatic Party' scored a lousy 621 voters at the last election and therefore no MP's salary for poor Jim, most likely living off the dole, or your charity, or something, I can't say. Can you enlighten on that score?

<<but how many could ever qualify for such as position, let alone be judged for results?>> I'll give you one name, big pay, terrible results, Alan Joyce CEO QANTAS. On his track record, Joyce wouldn't get into parliament, even in the visitors gallery.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 18 September 2014 10:53:06 AM
Paul1405,

Easy to see when you are on the defensive.

Lets take the financial year just ended, specifically what has any of the Greens senators produced in the year? Do take your time, they have.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 18 September 2014 12:06:39 PM
The Greens must be doing a good job. They require so much of your attention on this forum. If they were ineffective then people like you would ignore them, can't say that about The Greens, they have done a lot more in the parliament than your man Jim ever will.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 18 September 2014 8:12:46 PM
So there is nothing you can tender as evidence of those very well paid, shiny-bottomed Greens senators actually producing anything?

However they do put their hands out for CEO pay, CEO benefits(+) and a super scheme a CEO would give his eye teeth for.

So the answer is that Greens senators produce nil, nada, none, nothing. Not unexpected.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 18 September 2014 8:27:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy