The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Good on you Foxy, do it & enjoy it.

I'm afraid I'm with you o sung wu, I do remember dancing being great fun, & rather sexy, but it is a fading memory I'm afraid.

I forgot to mention I am a great fan of Hawaiian guitar music. It really does only suit that slow rhythm of the hula, & always gets me swaying, but alas, only in my chair these days, the knees can no longer hack it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 18 September 2014 11:45:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, do you like the Hawaiian ukulele, none better than Harold Uchino CD 'Blue Darling'.

Foxy, one of my partners extended whanau who has done very well for herself, and not yet 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GXua6gD4Hc

Off to see a live band this Saturday night out west, you can't beat live music. All our mates in the entertainment industry in Sydney are doing it tough, all have been at it for years, but not getting the gigs they once were, they keep saying not much around in the clubs and pubs. The crowds seem to be down too. A couple of places used to be packed Friday or Saturday night, but not so now days.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 19 September 2014 8:22:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

Thank You and I'm sure that your kind words,
high spirits, and sense of humour, will continue to lift
the spirits of everyone around you. We are blessed to have
you, O Sung Wu, Paul, and others, on this forum.
You guys certainly do wonders for me.

Dear Paul,

You are lucky to have an extended family - it must bring
you a lot of joy, so many petals to your flower.
From what I've gathered from your posts on this forum -
I imagine that all flourish under your nurturing.

I love that Hawaiin guitar and the Hula - learning
belly dancing and the hula is on my "to do," lists.
Whether I end up doing it - who knows - but I can dream.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 19 September 2014 11:48:59 AM
Foxy you may find this hard to believe, but I used to teach the hula.

Way back in the dim & distant past, I was involved with a number of resort islands in the Whitsundays. Daydream Island used to put on a Luau on Saturday nights, which included a floor show with a hula danced by girls from the island staff.

Tourists from the mainland were invited, for a price of course, & for some time I ran the boat taking them over & back. This meant spending Saturday nights at the Luau.

One night I realised all the girls were actually just doing a twist in grass skirts. The skill of doing a hula had been passed from girl to girl as the staff changed, & the hula had been lost with changing staff. Having learnt the real thing in the islands, I offered to teach them.

The Hula is all in the knees. It actually looks horrible with girls wearing shorts or bikinis, but is truly magnificent when done in a long grass skirt. The girls loved doing it once shown how.

For years after I was no longer involved in running the boat, I would get a call to come over & run a couple of classes. It was always amazing how a synthetic grass skirt & a plastic frangipani lei could convert a house maid or waitress into an exotic dancer in just seconds.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 19 September 2014 12:40:14 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

Who'd have thought that the hula is all in the
knees. And I agree that a grass skirt and
flowers around the neck would add to the ambiance.

It must have been fun teaching the hula.
What a dashing figure you would have made.
Lucky ladies!
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 19 September 2014 1:53:33 PM
I have a point of order here Mr or Ms MODERATOR...!

I don't mind in the least that we contributors occasionally let our imagination get away from us from time to time - BUT ! My old 'Naval Aviator' mate 'HASBEEN' teaching the HULU Dance ? That being the case would you believe I was once 'prima ballerina' and lead dancer in 'Swan Lake' ! While it was true I did have some difficulty getting up on my 'twinkle toes', they did permit me (by special dispensation), to wear my old Army GP boots, dyed in a pink colour, with yellow laces for each performance ?

Anyway back to normality - HASBEEN, cast your 'rhythmic' mind back to the early sixties if you will - do you recall a young bloke by the name of Robby 'G' ? He used to play the Hawaiian Guitar on 'Bandstand' and 'Six O'clock Rock' etc. Perhaps you too may remember him also FOXY, though I would've thought you may've been a little young, and I say that with uttermost respect too FOXY.

Robby 'G' wasn't a bad Hawaiian Guitarist, and I think his biggest hit was, '55 Days at Peking' at the time ? Perhaps you do remember him HASBEEN ?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 19 September 2014 2:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12