The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
Hi folks...

Ms Debbie BYRNE surely had a most beautiful and sustained voice with great control and pitch. The last I heard of her years ago now, she was performing in 'Cats' in Melbourne ? I've not heard from her since ? Anybody have any info. ? I understand she had quite a struggle with an addiction, but heard she put all that behind her and had moved on ? I can only hope so, so much talent, so much to give.

Speaking of some of the great 'crooners' Matt MUNRO and Andy WILLIAMS were two of my favourites, as was Tony BENNETT.

Not to forget another musical discipline I like very much, Jazz ! Played by those gifted African Americans way down south, in the twenties and thirties brilliant on their guitars, trumpets, in fact anything they cared to put their mind too.

Generally it was the exclusive domain of those from the southern states in the US - Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, and not to forget the home of 'Blue Grass' --> Kentucky, of the late Django REINHARDT fame ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 4:21:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

My husband took me to see a recent concert of a
band that called themselves - "Glenn Miller and
his orchestra," from the US, at Hamer Hall here in Melbourne.
They were amazing. And talking about American musicians -
my husband also has a great collection of the music of -
Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole
(my favourites are - "Mona Lisa," and
"Autumn Leaves,"), Ella Fitzgerald. He also has Herb Albert
and the Tijuana Brass, and many more.

Just goes to show that music certainly has the power to move
us all. I dance to Shakira - when no one is watching.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 5:07:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there FOXY...

An admission I feel I should make...I couldn't dance to anything these days if my life depended on it ? Indeed, the 'Big Band' sounds are really great, as you said Glenn Miller and many others. Ella FITZGERALD has a beautiful voice particularly when she sings some of those haunting American spirituals ? She exudes effortless power whenever she sings with her intonation as smooth as honey ?

It's truly amazing how gifted African Americans are, with their natural rhythm and elementary swing. Whether it's dance, vocals or a combination of the two, they just seem to have it in spades.

I was absolutely mesmerized awhile back, watching Sammy DAVIS Jnr. do an easy 'soft shoe shuffle' on top of this small, round wooden table, all the while he sang 'Mr Bo Jangles' ! So easy, so effortless, and with consummate class ! A brilliant performer, though he once described himself in such a self-effacing manner '...a black, one eyed, Jewish boy...' ? Enormous talent from this little African American fellow who apparently led a very miserable lifestyle ?

It's really quite curious how many of these really gifted performers who are so unhappy in their private lives, despite all the fame, adulation and the accompanying fortune, that generally came with it . Ms Whitney HUSTON is a prime example ? A beautiful voice brought to her knees through an addiction to drugs ? Such a dreadful waste of an enormous talent, so very sad.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 10:50:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I love about my music is the way i can relate and just feel it from my heart, the music helps me journey into a place of peace like no other.
If you feel me let me know.
Posted by PueleLUKA(nothing but the truth), Thursday, 18 September 2014 8:34:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good evening to you PUELE LUKA...

It's quite interesting really, the dramatic effect that nice music has on us, as individuals ? In your case, it tends to help transport you to a place of sublime peace, and that can only be good ? I've not seen your epithet previously, therefore I welcome you to The Forum.

Bye for now.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 18 September 2014 10:01:32 PM
Dear Puele Luka,

Welcome to the Forum.

I know what you mean about music.

I also find that through prayer I can
find what I cannot find elsewhere:
a peace that is not of this world.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 18 September 2014 10:17:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11