The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Influential Australians: The Movers and Shakers.

Influential Australians: The Movers and Shakers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Paul,

Yes they certainly do qualify.

Thank You.

Dear Jayb.,

Thank You for your list - and what a great
selection!
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 15 September 2014 12:27:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a brilliant Topic FOXY...

One of the most ethical and decent politicians that I know was one Ted MACK, who's only desire was to do the bidding of his constituent's. And NOT become obeisance to party politics, factions, or gaining enormous benefits for himself.

He retired from Federal Politics very shortly before he qualified for a (lifetime) substantial parliamentary pension. Yet this man was of modest means and not in the least wealthy. The likes of Mr Mack we're unlikely to see his kind again, unfortunately !

And finally, 'IN FIRST PLACE' to enlarge upon INDIVIDUAL'S excellent suggestion, something that I support unequivocally. Those many faceless, under appreciated and underpaid individuals, who routinely clean-up all the discarded 'human' filth and detritus, the likes of used hypodermic needles, vomitus, human faeces and urine, that's frequently found in public places. Also in our streets, lanes, alleyways as well as many other places that are opened to and used by the public. More often early on dark mornings, after the wild parties, and other celebratory public events. And during daylight hours after rowdy demonstrations, and other public events !

Without these decent, hard working souls, our cities would amount to nothing more than stinking sewers !
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 15 September 2014 3:07:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In reply to Individual 14-9-14: I am making a statement regarding your post, not a criticism. As a social scientist I have studied the attitudes of Australians towards a broad range of topics. Included in this list of topics (but by no means holding centre stage)is indigenous Australians. I found your use of the term "lift them up from the margins" telling in a few ways. Firstly it assumes that they are on a lower level of some sort. Secondly it seems to suggest that we/you are able to impart the necessary impetus or attitude that will make this possible, and also by using the term "margin" you give the impression that they are not fully engaged in society, and somehow drift around the perimeter of our society. Each of these descriptors lays blame in one way or another. This language is almost universal in Australia, and is, in my humble opinion a major hurdle for indigenous Aussies to overcome, and a very difficult one to overcome because you and I have to do the hurdling, not them. I hope you take this statement in the spirit in which it is offered, and I would be interested to hear a response (no arguments will be entered into however). F/E
Posted by Foureyes, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:20:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

Thank You for your comments.
I had never heard of Ted Mack- aand will have
to do a bit of research on him. He sounds
great.

I fully agree with you (and Indy) about those who
do such a good job in cleaning up our cities.
I would add also all the volunteers - who help
out at big and small events. Where would we be
without them indeed.

Dear Foureyes,

Possibly you're reading more into my comments
than was intended. Good heavens, in now
way were my comments meant to degrade any of
our Indiegenous people - and I also did not state
or meant that the person that had a genuine workable
way of lifting our Indigenous people from the margin
to the mainstream - had to be white. It could be
a tribal elder or any Indigenous person. Many people
have tried - many people of goodwill have tried- and
there have been no shortage of resources; this is not
a question of spending. And of course there are many
Indigenous success stories. However, the reality is
that there has been no area where we have had
more ideological experimentation and more failure.
And there will be a place on the list in 2100 for that
person (whoever he/she may be.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:38:06 PM
Good afternoon to you FOUREYES...

Sorry, but I've not seen your particular epithet previously ? Anyway, welcome. I see you are a Social Scientist well I must say much of what you've stated has confounded me completely ? Are you in touch with what's actually going on within the indigenous community ?Or has much of your research emanated from some previously written text ?

You speak of 'margins' as if they are not as well connected with society as they could be ? Many of the individuals I've had occasion to handle are NOT connected with mainstream society at all, and that is just one of the multitude of problems my friend ?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:42:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foureyes: As a social scientist I have studied the attitudes of Australians towards a broad range of topics.

Social Scientist... or... Navel Gazer... I too am a Social Scientist, unqualified, as in University Schooled, but a people watcher none-the-less. Not being University Trained does have one big advantage. I don't have to follow the Politically Correct/Do Gooder, Fake Standard as set down by the Uni.

The thing about watching Social Scientists is that all people, who are not on their particular wavelength, are wrong/biased/racist & on & on. Which is quite obvious by your post. You say There are no Aboriginals represented on any of the lists. Just why is that? I could mention some Aboriginal people that I would qualify for my list of Aboriginal people but they would be my personal list. One of them dies just recently. Reg Saunders, Buddy Lea & Billy Coolabra, just to mention three. but, you wouldn't know who they were, or what they did or how a lot of people felt about these great men. So putting them on the list would be a waste of time. I personally knew all three.

Foureyes: Firstly it assumes that they are on a lower level of some sort.

NO ONE has suggested that Aboriginal are on a lower level. That is an assumption, influenced by your Politically Correct training environment, & it's WRONG. The list asks for Movers & Shakers not for well known people. Oodgeroo Noonuccal or Cath Walker, or Mum, when I used to go to their place for Tea in the 60's. A great woman, for whom I have a great respect, but not a Mover & Shaker.

Foureyes: I hope you take this statement in the spirit in which it is offered.

Well, no. I feel offended. I am being made to feel, by Social Scientists that, because I do not go along with the PC/Do Gooders (the very people who have caused the mess we are in with Aboriginal People,) that I am somehow the cause of the problem that none of them are on the list.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 15 September 2014 6:28:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy