The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Capital Punishment - Is it time we re-visited this odious Topic ?

Capital Punishment - Is it time we re-visited this odious Topic ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
when you have fools who call smacking their kids violence then you are unlikely to have any decent system of law. When those kids that are never disciplined commit horrendeous crimes people are dumb enough to ask why.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 September 2014 3:37:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To all you good folk who argue against the re-introduction of Capital Punishment, I would agree with you without hesitation. I've already detailed the one exception to that position that I now hold.

It's true there's little evidence that CP acts as a deterrence, nor does it seem to appease the population at large. Probably the only people who do derive any benefit from a judicial execution, is the NOK of the victim ? Even then, those who've been permitted to witness the execution, seem generally unrequited in terms of any sense of having revenge for the victim, on the killer ?

Hello FOXY...

Your last comment is patently true. By killing terrorists can and often does martyrize them. But allowing them to live achieves nothing either, other than to allow them to spread further poison about their distorted objectives and agitprop (if that's the right word?) so we're between a rock and a hard place. Show any degree of humanity, then they consider us weak. Conversely, show them we mean business, and have a measure of 'steel' in our resolve, perhaps then we may gain their respect ? What shall we do ?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 12 September 2014 3:53:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always been all for capital punishment, but, it must only apply to a case where the offender has been caught red handed, Martin Bryant style, otherwise there is always that chance that an innocent person would have been killed, just like Lindy Chamberland as an example.

As for terrorists, I would be pleased to see anyone who openly supports the cause be executed, full stop. A terrorist doesnt have to pull the trigger so as to say to be a threat and the world would be a much better place without them.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 12 September 2014 4:24:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise, so there is lawful killing of a human being by another human being? I would define this also as murder if it were deliberate.
Posted by Agronomist, Friday, 12 September 2014 4:26:38 PM
Agronomist,

If a person is confronted by an armed intruder in their own home, who screams "I'm gunna kill ya!" and they, being in fear of their life, shoot the intruder dead; then do you consider it to be murder on their part?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 12 September 2014 4:42:10 PM

We killed 1,193 people on the roads last year in Australia, including 14 cyclists.

Victoria's Acting Premier Peter Ryan said : “the key thing is that these deaths are avoidable. There are no accidents on our roads. Drivers make poor choices. They choose to speed, they choose to drive under the influence of alcohol and drugs. They choose to be distracted from the particular task at hand.”

We also kill over 250 people a year mostly by knives (38%), beatings (25%) and gunshots (13%). We usually use a double or single barrelled shotgun. We try to get away with it if we can. About 9% of the killings remain unsolved.

We kill most of our victims between 6pm and midnight on Saturdays and midnight and 6am on Sundays, usually during night-time festivities or family gatherings. Three in five of our victims are killed either in our own homes or in theirs.

We tend to kill fairly indiscriminately, even though it’s illegal, including some people we have never met, simply because we don’t like the colour of their skin. We have never met most of the people we kill on the roads either. Though, of course, we do know most of the people we kill with knives and guns and by beatings.

The State may have abolished capital punishment but we haven’t :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-01/national-road-tolls-2013/5181358

http://www.smh.com.au/national/murders-at-a-low-but-knife-use-on-the-rise-20130220-2eroj.html

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 12 September 2014 5:10:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All