The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We Need A Federal ICAC Now!

We Need A Federal ICAC Now!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
With the outstanding job the New South Wales ICAC has been doing in exposing criminal activity in both THE LABOR and LIBERAL PARTIES in that state, uncovering massive corruption in both these shifty organizations. It has now been established the trail of criminal activity is leading to Canberra, I think it is high time Abbott bit the bullet, and set up a permanent Commission along the lines of the NSW ICAC to investigate federal political corruption and associated criminal activity.
Following the lifting of the suppression order yesterday in NSW there are allegations concerning Abbott’s chief-of-staff Peta Credlin. These are very serious matters, raising questions of influence buying, by some through political donations to THE LIBERAL PARTY. Only a permanent independent commission similar to the one operating in New South Wales can get to the bottom of this and other serious allegations concerning federal politicians and their associates from within THE LIBERAL PARTY and if need be, other political parties as well.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 11:55:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

You say that we need a Federal ICAC now?

What has the state ICAC really achieved?

Perhaps we need to look at the investigative
institutions that are already in place and
have the power to convict.

We don't need to spend more money on institutions
that don't have the power to convict anybody -
do we? That seems like simply a waste of both time
and money.

As for political donations - yes I agree that we
need greater transparency and accountability in
that department - definitely. Perhaps also a cap should
be set on donations. I would hate though for us to
become like the United States - where politicians are
forced to spend a large portion of their time trying to get
donations in order to get elected. We don't have that
in this country - yet.

I'd hate to see our pollies be forced to go down that route.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 1:12:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We certainly need something Paul....corruption and power are wed.....but the outcome of the nuptial is governed by scrutiny.

Foxy dear one, you can’t be defeatist and just throw yourself towards apathy because the guilty do not always get what they deserve. I believe that Paul’s permanent impartial commission would be money well spent.

We do not have a vigilant free press and that is at the core of public figure scrutiny.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 1:54:03 PM
Dear SOG,

I'm not being defeatest at all - just realistic.
There's a difference. It looks like mr Obeid
under this last ICAC inquiry may not ever be
charged. The question I am raising - so what's
the point of it all - and how much did it cost
us? What did it achieve?

Explain.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 2:33:38 PM
I understand your sentiment Foxy, reeks of one law for the nothings and one for Obeid and Co...........but recognition of the corruption is all we have at present and that is better than nothing from a moral stance if not one of a just retribution.

I have often said that I have no representation with the current lot of law makers on both sides........this inaction just validates my thoughts.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 7:05:53 PM
Foxy, I can't agree that the NSW ICAC has been waste of money because it does not have the power to prosecute people. The commission is a window, and with its independent powers it can highlight the wrong doings of people. Would we know as much as we do about people like Eddie Obeid etc if it wasn't for the ICAC? Following the findings of the commission there is the likes of the DPP which can, and should go through the evidence and launch prosecutions where appropriate. I think it is money well spent, some in THE LIBERAL and LABOR PARTIES wouldn't agree.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 9 September 2014 9:14:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy