The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ebolear?

Ebolear?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I see in the news (The Sunday Times) today that they are commencing trials on 60 humans in Britain with a new vaccine against the Ebola virus.

Isn't that wonderful news Onthebeach?
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 31 August 2014 2:29:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was reading today that during the current outbreak commencing earlier this year, samples from 78 victims has shown that the Ebola virus has undergone 300 genetic mutations. Mutations allow a virus to grow faster.

The virus has spread to Senegal,
http://tinyurl.com/ebola-senegal

If readers continue to the other articles on the linked site, there are reports of WHO's concerns about mobility across borders and about the angry mob that released a number of people infected with the virus.

I don't know how risk of the virus establishing in other countries can be assessed where scientists have yet to understand it, the hosts and transmission. Even if the likelihood of the virus becoming established in (say) the bat and feral pig populations in other countries is optimistically guessed as being low, the consequences of that would be catastrophic because it could not be eradicated.

Hence the well-argued (by WHO and others) caution and concern that Ebola be contained where it is.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 31 August 2014 4:35:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Absolutely it should be contained where it is, but just in case it gets out of control, we will have a vaccine by the end of the year that we can give to African people (and medical staff) to prevent the spread.

Personally, if Ebola came to Australia, I would be far more worried than when the AIDS virus started infecting Australians....
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 31 August 2014 7:56:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy