The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > If granted will this be the death of TV.

If granted will this be the death of TV.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
First the story

According to a report in The Australian, Channel Seven and Channel Nine are lobbying the government to increase the amount of ads they’re allowed to show you. Currently, the networks can’t broadcast more than 15 minutes of ads every hour.

But Seven and Nine want to increase that to 20 minutes. Which means one in every three minutes on commercial TV would be spent schilling yoghurt, insurance, cars or the network’s own never-ending line-up of reality fare.

The proposal is being bandied about within the free-to-air TV industry body Free TV, with Seven and Nine strongly in favour and Network Ten strongly opposed.

Rest of story here.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/longer-tv-ad-breaks-could-you-handle-20-minutes-of-ads-every-hour/story-fnki1jcy-1227027946227

Instead of making a coffee during the adds I will be able to cook a whole meal.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 18 August 2014 1:07:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<Instead of making a coffee during the adds I will be able to cook a whole meal>>

ROFL ...can relate to that.

Actually, I suspect that in the not too distant future the whole idea of TV channels will be a thing of the past.
Posted by SPQR, Tuesday, 19 August 2014 9:32:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed, SPQR.

>>I suspect that in the not too distant future the whole idea of TV channels will be a thing of the past.<<

This is a last-gasp exercise to squeeze the last few dollars out of a dead franchise.

Foxtel will be the next to go, victim of its own overweening greed.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:16:00 AM
Just wondering SPQR and Pericles, if both free to air TV and Foxtel 'go', what do you consider people at home will be watching?

I would be horrified if those commercial stations had even more commercials.
I imagine that their financial interests will prevail however.

I predominantly watch Foxtel, and rarely go over to commercial stations, so if these increased adverts come to pass, I will be there even less.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:48:50 AM
Oops, wrong thread, sorry 'bout dat.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:50:15 AM
It'll drive some people around the bend, let's hope those who deserve it will cop it.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:58:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy