The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Vision For Australia

Vision For Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
One of the great problems with developing and executing the right vision for Australia is, as I alluded to in my last post; the in-bed relationship between big business and government.

Big business is all-powerful. They rule, not government.

They have very strong vested interests, both in maintaining high immigration and in upholding the ABSURD nature of our primary economic indicator; GDP.… which counts ALL economic activity as being equal, regardless of whether it is highly beneficial, neutral or detrimental (which it could be if it causes a lot of environmental damage, for example) to the wellbeing of us all and of our nation.

If we could somehow make our governments, at all three levels, independent of the business fraternity and therefore able to truly do the best thing for all their constituents, we’d have the problem virtually dealt with.

Governments would then be highly likely to see the eminent sense in heading towards net zero immigration, a stable population and a sustainable society…. and in developing a primary economic indicator which properly expresses the health of our economy, instead of grossly misleading us as GDP currently does.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 3 August 2014 7:37:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, it's a double edged sword, as while big business may have it's draw backs, it also either directly, or indirectly, creates most of the jobs in out country.

We can't afford to jeopodise that, so better to ensure those arriving have something to offer in my opinion.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 4 August 2014 7:54:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reconciliation Declaration

Stand: That every Australian be invited and encouraged to support the most proactive movement ever undertaken to reconcile with indigenous Australians. The first step to be the signing of the following Reconciliation Declaration:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/THE_RECONCILIATION_DECLARATION/

As an Australian citizen I acknowledge that before Europeans ever set foot upon this land, many great nations already prospered here. I acknowledge that this land I now call home was colonised without the consent of those original inhabitants and this has resulted in great hardship and suffering. For this I am sincerely sorry. It is my desire to reconcile past wrongs and a build a future where indigenous Australians live in complete equality with non indigenous Australians. All rights afforded, all opportunities open. I therefore support renewed efforts toward reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander’s as a process of recognition, respect, healing, justice and unity.

The vision of reconciliation is a complex and sensitive matter and one of this countries most important national responsibilities. It is my belief that true reconciliation requires the recognition of an aboriginal nation.
Picture
I see the indigenous nation as being a nation within a nation. Sovereign to a point with independent values, beliefs and governance but not to the extent of independent laws, currency or geography. I see the aboriginal nation as being as much symbolic as sovereign, co-existing independently as well as interdependently with modern Australia and living within the existing rule-of-law. In the sense that we acknowledge aboriginal people as the traditional owners of this land I see the same circumstances applicable to the formal recognition of an indigenous nation.

Flowing on from this important declaration I propose that the Australian Government in conjunction with the private sector fund the establishment of a world class University dedicated to preserving and teaching the cultural and spiritual laws, language’s, stories and beliefs of indigenous Australians.

more: http://www.visionforaustralia.com.au/reconciliation.html
Posted by Vision for Australia, Friday, 8 August 2014 12:23:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shame on you VfA,
are you going to deny Elders their right of taking the pick of the young girls?
Are you advocating freedom for women?

Where will it end?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 8 August 2014 4:46:00 PM
Further to the above.

"As an Australian citizen I acknowledge that before Europeans ever set foot upon this land, many great nations already prospered here....."

References please; what were the names of these great nations and where may their histories be found?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 8 August 2014 8:30:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy