The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this the answer to greatly improving road safety?

Is this the answer to greatly improving road safety?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
<< I am one of those who want to see this incredibly expensive stupidity of bikeways stopped, & bikes banned from the roads at least during rush hour. >>

Hold on Haz, why wouldn’t you want to get cyclists off the roads and ON to cycleways??

We should definitely be encouraging people to get out of their cars and on their bikes.

<< My barber has a shop… >>

You’ve got hair?!?!

I always imagined you as being as bald as a badger!!

Sorry. Where was I….

<< I think it is time for at least $250 registration fee for any bike >>

Hmmm. Difficult. I want to see cycling encouraged. But I also want to see it well regulated, with cyclists who break the law being easily brought to account by way of having number plates via which the police can easily track them.

This brings me back to cameras. Cyclists should have cameras, front and back. As well as improving cyclist safety, this would also help to keep rogue cyclists in line…. if they had number plates and could easily be found by the police.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 2 July 2014 8:26:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All they are doing Luddy, is pinching our roadways, & giving them to cyclists.

If cyclists want bikeways, they should bloody well pay for the things themselves.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 2 July 2014 9:27:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haz, we shouldn’t be thinking of it in an ‘us-and-them’ manner. We should be looking at the greater good for our society.

Surely more cycleways would be good for reducing congestion, improving health and exercise, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and thus addressing climate change.

To these ends, we should all be paying for cycleways through our taxes, whether or not we use them.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:19:16 PM
Luddy you are on the wrong [cycle] track there.

If you're interested in health you should want to ban bikes anywhere near roads & cars.

I think a good case could be made that those obsessed in bike riding are suffering a degenerative brain disorder, caused by the ingestion of too much CO2 & N20 from riding in exhaust fumes.

Ban bike riding for better health.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 3 July 2014 9:53:41 AM
Haz, you think in very black and white, hard and fast, all or nothing terms. You need to think more in shades of grey, of points of balance between the good and bad factors.

<< If you're interested in health you should want to ban bikes anywhere near roads & cars. >>

Too extreme. There are certainly some roads on which cycling should be banned, such as the Cook Highway up here north of Cairns, and many very busy narrow roads in our cities. But cycling should generally be encouraged, in conjunction with a very high-profile safety-awareness campaign.

<< …too much CO2 & N20… >>

Yes there is…. which is one reason why we need a concerted effort to promote cycling and reduce the numbers of vehicles on our roads…. in conjunction with a net zero immigration and population stabilisation policy.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 3 July 2014 10:14:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy