The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The stupidest road rule yet

The stupidest road rule yet

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
Oh come on Ludwig.
You carry on at me as though I was the one ranting!

It was obvious in your first post that you dislike cyclists annoying you on the road, but when others took you to task about being a tad selfish in wanting to have the roads to yourself, you took the 'no, it's the cyclists I'm worried about' approach'.

We do need more cycle ways on our roads, but I doubt we can ever have them on ALL roads, so we do need laws to protect cyclists on the road.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 28 April 2014 10:14:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Ludwig with drivers speeding, tailgating and you driving too fast for the conditions and it is the cyclist who is at fault?? What the?
If YOU hadnt been breaking the law then you would have had plenty of time to slow down and wait for a clear space to overtake. Just like you would have to if it was a slow truck or a caravan or a pedestrian. It is called driving with due care and attention, a legal requirement, and you deserve to be fined for not exercising it. Not to mention the fool tailgating you. An all to common occurrence and cause of many accidents despite numerous ongoing education campaigns.

To threaten someone or put them in danger with your 2 ton killing machine is reprehensible and people like hasbeen should be forced to be servants to cyclists maimed and crippled by fat idiots in their penis enhancers.

If you cant drive your car while avoiding cyclists, pedestrians and other slower vehicles then your license should be revoked and your vehicle confiscated for all our sakes.

Oh and another point to note for all you vehicular supremacists.
Bicycles were on the roads long before cars.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 28 April 2014 11:56:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse, good analysis of Ludwig's motives.

Ludwig is all about --- "I'm a driver. I own the roads. Roads are for drivers only. I can make up my own rules, on the run, if I disagree with any road rules. I must NOT be held up or inconvenienced by anyone on the road. I'm right and you're wrong no matter what".

Ludwig, if you don't like the road rules then learn how to effectively lobby government for road rule change. It's a skill. Just whinging about it on a public forum shows you likely don't possess the capabilities to elicit change in an effective manner. You just want to whinge as evidenced by your first post and subsequent replies.

The roads are for EVERYONE, not "just" drivers. That's a legal fact.

Ludwig, by making up your own road rules, on the run whilst driving, you are putting other road users at risk. You have a road "attitude" problem. You won't become a better driver unless you become aware that you need to change your "attitude" whilst driving.
Posted by Nhoj, Monday, 28 April 2014 12:02:57 PM
<< Oh come on Ludwig. You carry on at me as though I was the one ranting! >>

Suze, you’ve been on OLO a long time. Surely you realise that different people have different ways of expressing themselves. Surely by now you have realised that it is the message that you need to concentrate on, NOT the particular person’s writing style!

<< It was obvious in your first post that you dislike cyclists annoying you on the road… >>

Not at all. You have entirely invented this interpretation in your head. I have neither said nor implied anything of the sort!

I do not go along with Daffy Duck’s view of cyclists, nor rechtub suggested solution of getting them all off the roads.

We just need better rules, and better education and awareness, for all drivers, and cyclists! In short, we need a thorough risk-minimisation strategy.

<< So Ludwig with drivers speeding, tailgating and you driving too fast for the conditions and it is the cyclist who is at fault?? What the? >>

What the? Indeed Mikk!

Who is saying cyclists are at fault?

<< If YOU hadnt been breaking the law then you would have had plenty of time to slow down and wait for a clear space to overtake >>

So um…. where do you get this assertion that I was breaking the law? Reread the opening post. Then tell me; where did you get this gem?

Stop inventing complete furphies!!

By the way, on the curves on the Cook Hwy, the recommended speed is 70, 60, 50 or 40kmh. So coming around a blind curve, you would be doing considerably less than the legal speed limit of 80. If you find a cyclist right in front of you, you do NOT have time to slow down to ~25, unless you do it very quickly indeed. And if you’ve got traffic behind, you definitely don’t want to do that!

Mikk PLEASE, make sure you know what a person’s position is before you lambast them for it, and make a fool of yourself.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 28 April 2014 12:57:01 PM
I agree with Ludwig about bikes that are a real nuisance everywere they go to even on those special paths that are made for them they travel about trying to knock over people who walk along the special paths to.

You are a real rude person Nhoj and somebody who knows nothing about nothing my silly friend. Ludwig is completely right about everything he says about you are very rude and quite stupid with many of the remarks you make about him personally.
Posted by misanthrope, Monday, 28 April 2014 3:31:05 PM
Pointing out the dangerous unintended consequences of a road rule is not selfish or irresponsible. If you come out of a blind curve with someone tailgating you and encounter a slow moving vehicle, it could be highly dangerous to slam on the brakes, which, according to Ludwig, was his only alternative. In that case, the tailgater then slams into Ludwig's car, which is likely to collect the cyclist as well as it is pushed forward by the tailgater. Where is the suggestion that Ludwig himself was speeding or driving dangerously? Cyclists can be just as selfish and arrogant as drivers.
Posted by Divergence, Monday, 28 April 2014 3:58:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18