The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We don't need to emphasise our national culture

We don't need to emphasise our national culture

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
white people who degrade those white people”
SteeleRedux,
A bot of selective quoting here, here's the rest. "who actually are the buttered side of the bread for the former ?"
That's the question I put to you & the likes of you. No riddle there.

re I'm not sure who 'we' is? We means those who care about this country, care about harmony, it means those of us who keep getting forced via our taxes to support the likes that the likes of you support for no good reason or outcome. You would,'t call my remark as pythonesque if you had the ability to digest what people who care more than you are saying.
You may be articulate but sadly you're having difficulty to translate that talent into substance of integrity.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 10 April 2014 6:30:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shocker,

You wrote;

“I stated that South Africa's national status is *not* acceptable, and White South Africans would therefore be excluded, unless there were some other mitigating criteria such as ancestry.”

I did indeed neglect to attach 'White' to South African but we both knew whom I was talking about.

You claimed;

“I didn't call anyone "inferior".”

Don't be idiotic, of course you did, as soon as you used the word 'equal' rather than 'similar' or 'like'.

Then you had the temerity to suggest that though your immigration filter seemed racist, “its basis is economic not racial”.

Bollocks of the highest order.

Let's put it to the test.

Here are two stories about the plight of many white South Africans.

The first is about the poor white underclass that is growing in that country. As coloured South Africans are moving out of the shanty towns and into the middle class there is a section of the white community replacing them.
http://youtu.be/pFj0HdW2iDs

The second harrowing clip is about the numerous white South African underaged girls who are joining the ranks of child prostitutes in that country.
http://youtu.be/xISFxedkhl8

So my question to you is when does this section of white South African become unacceptable as immigrants to Australia and by the same token when do members of the coloured middle and upper classes become acceptable as prospective Australians?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 April 2014 5:32:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SteeleRedux "I did indeed neglect to attach 'White' to South African but we both knew whom I was talking about."

Here is your original comment"

"Good old Shocker wanting more of those from “countries that have *proven* themselves our "equal"” then fingering South Africans as one of them. Well I suppose if you identify with them you might consider them as 'equal' but I hoped Australia would have been far more highly regarded than South Africa."

You both refer to "countries" and "South Africa".

You seem to miss the point entirely of what I said.

Yes, I'm well aware of the problems they are experiencing, which is precisely why I wouldn't want to exclude them, but they would be if judged by *national* status.

They are one oppressed minority that could really use our help.

I use the word equal because that's the buzzword the proponents of global immigration use to justify an anything-and-everything policy.

Since we're all "equal" it supposedly doesn't matter if they're "similar" or "like" us.

But "equality" is a claim with little evidence to back it up.

GDP-per-capita and the Human Development Index are evaluations based on reality, not idealism.

Most non-White countries have yet to show any evidence they're our "equal".
Don't just claim it, *prove* it.

"though your immigration filter seemed racist, “its basis is economic not racial”. Bollocks of the highest order."

I want a totally racially/ethnically based policy.
But I'm smart enough to know that's unlikely at present.

This policy *is* based on economics, but has the pleasant side effect of mostly White immigration.

GDP-per-capita and the Human Development Index are *neutral* to race or ethnicity.
The two lists are almost a mirror image of each other.

Those lists show a marked bias in favour of Whites.
This is reality, not idealism.

Why wouldn't we want the people who have proven their abilities *and* would most easily adapt to our society (being "similar/like" us to begin with).

Why would we want people with the worst performance and least similarity?
What could possibly justify such insanity? "Equality".
Posted by Shockadelic, Thursday, 10 April 2014 7:35:26 PM
The quote “that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel” is attributed to Samuel Johnson though I am partial to Bob Dylan's lines;

“They say that patriotism is the last refuge
To which a scoundrel clings
Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king ”

The veteran I spoke of earlier is Norm Knopp OAM. He was a Corporal in the 2nd/8th battalion of the 6th Division in the Australian Army. While recovering from his injuries from a grenade attack he, being a craftsman before the war, carved the kangaroo adorned inkstand that was used in the Japanese surrender in New Guinea. It can just be made out on the Wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan

When asked what was his most vivid memory of the war this was the reply;

Quote;

Don was a mate of mine, he came around the night before and he said he was going out to Long Ridge the next day. I said be careful, Long Ridge was a strong post of the Japanese, they were all dug in. They had plenty of gun fire there and everything, and he went out there to clean them out he reckoned.

But he got hit. In the side of the face. He had all of his face taken out on his right side. But he had an Owen gun and he kept his senses and a Japanese soldier had come to kill him and he shot the Japanese soldier at point blank range and the Japanese soldier had fallen over his chest.

I had just come back from another patrol and Jake Farrow said to me that Colin Diffey was looking for me. He was our boss. I went down to see him and he said "you can say yes or no to this, I would hate to send you out there, but would you go out to Long Ridge and see if you can find Don?"

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 April 2014 10:03:31 PM
Cont...

So I went out to where the other soldiers were from the platoon that Don was in and asked would anyone help me. They said "you're bloody mad, you'll get killed!"

I said I'll go on my own then.

So I got them to tell me where they thought he was. I went out on my own and located him and I found Don and he had a dead Jap across him. Don had accidentally put another bullet through his own leg, I didn't know that yet though. I figured that if Don saw me he might think that I was another Japanese soldier and shoot me too, so I circled around him and came up behind his shoulder. I got right up to him and I said "Don, it's Norm".

He said "Thank Christ for that. I knew someone would come out to get me so I stopped here".

I said "Well you're going to stop where you are and you're going to leave the dead Jap on your chest and I'm going to get some help to go and get you."

When I got back, I said to the others, "I've found Don and I need some help to bring him back in."

I said "Who's coming?"

I wanted seven blokes. I had no trouble getting them.

So we turned around and we went straight out to get him. It took about 20 minutes to get there through the jungle. We found him again and he was conscious and speaking to us.

I said "we'll put you on a stretcher and carry you in."

Don said "I can walk!"

He reckoned he could, but he couldn't.

So bringing him back we ran into a Japanese patrol and they opened up on us with machine gun fire. A "woodpecker" gun. They killed 3 of our soldiers.

Cont..
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 April 2014 10:04:56 PM
Cont..

We found a bomb hole to get down into and surrounded Don and picked off the Japanese when we saw them. This went on 15 minutes, with exchanges of fire before the Japanese cleared out. I suppose there could have been around a dozen Japanese. We picked off about 5 or 6 of them. I was trying to look after Don as best as I could.

Once it was nightfall, we got back to the Danmap River and went up the river to our base. It was about chest high in the river.

Our Colonel Stacey Howdon was there and I said I am prepared to take him down to hospital there.

He said "No, you're finished, you've had enough for today. Is there anything you want?"

I said no.

"Do you want a whisky?"

"No".

"Do you want a beer?"

"No".

"Do you want a cigarette?"

"Yes." I smoked back then.

He gave me a tin of 50 Craven A's and I kept that tin with me the whole war and still have it.

After that I went back to where our blokes were camped. That was the end of that day. All in a day's work.

Don was put in hospital and operated on and had a plate put in his face, then they sent him back to Australia. He was operated on when he was back in Australia and he died during that operation. But he made it back to see his family. I met his son Wayne a couple of years ago at an ANZAC Day parade. He never saw his father as his mother was pregnant when Don died. Wayne wrote me a lovely letter.

That was the most vivid experience. I had nightmares about it for many years but more recently I am a lot better.

End quote.

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 April 2014 10:06:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All