The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Racism in Australia

Racism in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. 46
  10. All
Once again racism seems to be raising its ugly head in Australia. As a people who in the past have at least shown a minimal degree of tolerance towards people of different ethnic backgrounds, we now appear to be incorporating racism into the Australian ethos. I’m not only talking about the silly antics of a couple of ‘Bimbos’ on a Queensland bus, towards an elderly Aboriginal man. Nor am I only talking about the disgusting pamphlet distributed by the Labor Party against Carolyn Habib in the SA election, as serious as that is too. What is most disturbing is that powerful sections within the Liberal Party, namely The Institute of Public Affairs are demanding the repeal of a controversial section of the race discrimination laws.
Following Attorney-General George Brandis appearance on the ABC this week I am concerned with the Abbott governments approach to racism and particularly the laws that protect people from racial vilification. Brandis said: ''In a free country, people should have the right to say things that other people find insulting or offensive or wounding’’ Brandis seems to be condoning hate speech based on race and/or ethnicity. Later in the week Brandis rightly took the opportunity to condemn the ALP for its “Habib leaflet”. It is interesting to note that SMH columnist Richard Ackland points out that back in the 1980’s when he was involved with the Free Speech Committee in Sydney; no right-wingers then could give a fig about free speech. Suddenly today the right-wingers from the influential IPA have become all concerned about free speech, or more likely the use of hate speech with impunity
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 15 March 2014 2:34:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
paul1405,
I must say it's been quite a while since racists have been bleating racism. Well, I suppose one can't expect them to be quiet for too long.
What is this time ? Worried that people can't use racism as an excuse anymore ? Surely it's time to move on & invent a new catch-cry don't you think ? Just as the whole community has settled down there come the likes of you tearing at the old scab & rubbing salt into the wound. I for one can't fathem why you wouldn't want it to heal ? Beats me.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 March 2014 3:42:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Imagine an Australia ruled by the Greens!

Paul 1405 would be looking over your shoulder checking you didnt read anything racist.
Paul 1406 would be vetting your posts to ensure you didn't write anything racist
Paul 1407 would be hiding under your bed checking you weren't racist in your choice of sleeping partners
And they would all report to Christine 0001
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 16 March 2014 4:03:53 PM
Paul, tell me, if i were to pass comment about the lay about drunken Aboriginies that frequent the parks and shops at Weipa, AS THEY DO, Remembering now, I would only be referring to those particular dole budgets, nobody else!, would i be racist in your eyes, or, would i simply be telling it exactly as it is.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 16 March 2014 4:36:53 PM
rehctub,
I don't know if you know about Geman Jack but that's one that will always go against the Weipa outfit hanging around the Pub. I wonder how Paul1405 feels about some drunks getting away with murdering a long term patron. He probably had no money too buy them a beer.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 March 2014 4:43:00 PM
Also Paul, if i were to mention a group of ethics who rampaged our streets of Sydney and terrorized our own people, to respect our laws, OR LEAVE, would you class that as a racist comment from me, or once again, would i simply be telling it like is was.

This country is in danger of being forced into a corner simply because we cant protect OUR WAY OF LIFE and practice OUR PEACE LOVING WAYS simply because outsiders and bleeding hearts would rather support the ways of radical ethnic groups, AND LAYABOUTS who's life mission is to instil hurt onto others which sometimes sadly involves their own kids, nephews and nieces.

If by me saying, THIS IS AUSTRALIA, LOVE IT AND LOVE US AND OUR WAYS, OR LEAVE, or, by saying, the least you could do with your tax payer funded GIFT, is to repect the tax payer and use it as intended, is seen as being racist, then im a proud peace loving genuine Aussie racist!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 16 March 2014 4:48:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. 46
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy