The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Has economic progress made us happier?

Has economic progress made us happier?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
An survey conducted by oswald, displays very interesting results on happiness. There are 3 level of happiness in the survey,very happy,happy and not happy. The survey was conducted over 4 difference years 1972, 1982, 1992, 1998. The result are listed below.

____________1972 1982 1992 1998
very happy____34% 19% 32% 31%
happy________53% 59% 57% 56%
not happy_____13% 21% 10% 12%

From the result of the survey we can see that there is no significant rise in the level of happiness of people representing to US and Euro since 1970's.

Another survey shows the increase of non-necessarites owned by households between 1970 and 2000.

__________________1970 2000
2nd Car_____________20% 59%
2nd TV_______________3% 45%
2nd phone____________2% 78%
Air condition__________22% 70%
Washing machine______8% 44%

An interesting question arise- does economics progress increase a persons level of happiness? From the result of the two surveys it appears that a persons happiness is not necessary affect by their economics or financial status.

Any comment?
Posted by ChunYiChan, Monday, 14 May 2007 5:54:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If human nature is to want that little bit(or lot) more then at any point in time the happiness factor will be similar.
If we are happy with what we've got, then we're happy whether it be a lot or not.

If you ask people now whether they would be happy returning to the 70's I think they would be reluctant to say the least.

Taking into account life expectancy increases and medical breakthroughs we should all be a little happier about economic progress.
Posted by rojo, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 8:29:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Money does not buy happiness. After the short term bounce in pleasure which we get from buying something the pleasure factor slowly recedes back to pre-buy status. The only problem is now that we take the product we bought for granted and losing it would create displeasure.
So no I don’t think is does increase a person’s level of long term happiness.

Our concept of what we take as a luxury and what we take for granted has the ability to increase our level of pleasure. Going to a pricey restaurant once every 6 weeks is a luxury but if you have cash to burn you could go there every week and the “luxury” factor quickly disappears

The more money you have the more you take for granted!
Posted by EasyTimes, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 12:04:41 PM
People will answer this from their different experiences but speaking as one of the 'old battlers' I state that that though money can't buy happiness, it enables you to be miserable in comfort.And if you think that being poor isn't a miserable existance anyhow, try it.
I would loath to go back to the days where being poor and bringing up a family was such a dreadful time that one could not see any brightness in life.
Economic progress has removed some of the horrors , it has enabled us to be more comfortable. It may not have helped the mentally immature see how fortunate they are, only a lobotomy would fix some.
But most of us should be a lot more thankful for what we have received.
Posted by mickijo, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 3:47:10 PM
Sadly, people today seem to feel they're happy if they can buy, buy, buy but as the previous poster said, the thrill of the new material acquisition soon fades and one must buy again, and again, to try to maintain a level of false happiness.

What I have noticed is that in this new consumer culture, people really aren't happy and are unable to just BE and enjoy the simple thing. Instead they have to be a human DOING and have continual entertainment and distractions. This leads to many addictive behaviours and people with addictions, whether it's shopping, greed and money, food, computer games, never mind alcohol and drugs, are not really happy within themselves.

My adult children are examples. They are both well into the consumer culture and into what I call OTHER ESTEEM (I am my material goods, my fancy house, fancy car, and constant activity. I just returned from visiting my daughter for a week and was relieved to return to my peace and quiet. In the week since I've returned I've been in to enjoying being with my SELF, sitting in the hammock, sitting in the back yard and enjoying all my lovely trees and bushes, gardening, taking a bush walk in the rainforest, cycling then sitting and enjoying the wonders of nature. Sadly, my children are unable to enjoy those activities any more since they have been totally influenced by the consumerism culture, which IMO, includes selfishness and self-centeredness as well as a need for continual activity and external entertainment with the accompanying stress and addictive behaviours.

I feel that my children are examples of what the consumerism culture has done to people, where they pretend they are happy if they are busy, busy, busy and buying, buying, buying but unhappy and depressed if they have to just sit and enjoy being with SELF and nature.
Posted by Bobbicee, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 3:59:20 PM
Does economic advancement (alone) bring happiness ?

no.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 16 May 2007 10:38:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy