The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Infinity = -1/12

Infinity = -1/12

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
Dear SteeleRedux,

Sorry, but that quote does not make much sense to me.

I can only repeat: You do not need any integration or Wolfram to see that the regions A and B are MIRROR IMAGES of each other (with respect to the parabola’s vertical axis), and BECAUSE OF THAT (nothing to do with “subtracting” infinities) both have the same (infinite) area.

I do not see where 1+2+3+4+... comes into it, except that if f(x)=x(x+1)/2 is the function whose graph is that parabola, then f(n) = 1+2+3+ ... +n. i.e. it is a partial sum of the infinite series 1+2+3+4+ ... . Thus if A(x) is the area of the region under the parabola above the segment [0,x] (for x>0), then its RATE of increase - i.e. the derivative dA(x)/dx which is f(x) - tends to infinity as fast as 1+2+3+4 ... . That is all that I can see about relating A (or B) to 1+2+3+ 4 + ... .
Posted by George, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 7:36:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear George,

Many thanks for the effort you have put in on this thread and to the others who have contributed. As I no have only one nostril above the surface I think I had better call it quits. I'm off to study a little more math, and to practice a couple of neat card tricks the Numberphile crew have shown on their Youtube channel. Doing base 3 calculations in a few seconds is still not quite in my comfortable grasp but I think it is worth it. Impressed me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7lP9y7Bb5g

Cheers mate.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 11:36:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Warmair,

I thought you might be interested in a little update to the link you provided. Buzz has corrected his correction, at least to a degree, and Bernd has left in disgust.

“Anyway, I have the impression that further debates here are useless. You probably cannot understand what I have tried to explain through my many comments. So I will stop wasting my time any longer.”

And I'm left like a shag on a rock.

Still it looks like the debate will continue for some time yet.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 9 February 2014 1:49:40 PM
Is there no end to this.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 9 February 2014 2:07:45 PM
JAYB..infinity cannot bE 1/12th

why?

<<..[ITS..mathematical shorthand

for.."minus infinity
*is less than any real number,..

and *infinity is greater than any real number"

1/12 TH..IS LESS THAN ANY REAL finite..NUMBER..
Further...AS INFINITE..ISNT even..A NUMBER..[let alone a MINUS NUMBER.

BUT IF IT WAS IT WOULD BE A WHoLE NUMBER/
IT MUST BE GREATER..[or if negative lesser]..than any whole number

BUT..ITS not..a NUMBER
..1/12..IS A FRACTION..OF A WHOLE NUMBER

ie..[ITS ALL JUST NON*SENSE]
WALK AWAY..I have..some people with nuthin..want it all

BUT IF IT.s ALL..=..1/12..TH..is insane.
LIKE CALLING...EVOLUTION/A SCIENCE..when its a theory...WITH NO Falsifiable..[NO abILITY TO REplicate..TO CONFIRM..IT..

CAN 1/12 TH-INFINITY
OF COURSE NOT..case closed
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 9 February 2014 2:36:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Didn't get it, did he.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 9 February 2014 5:06:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy