The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abbott offers $200 to newlyweds for Counselling ?

Abbott offers $200 to newlyweds for Counselling ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Just when I thought Abbott and Co couldn't surprise me anymore, the Government has decided to 'give' newly married couples, committed co-habitting heterosexual couples, and even gay couples $200 for couples counselling!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/federal-government-offers-newlyweds-200-voucher-to-attend-marriage-coounselling/story-fnihsrf2-1226808063646

They apparently want to kick off this generous use of public money with a trial of 100,000 couples to be given $200 to pay for professional counselling.

That adds up to $20 million.

$200 will be lucky to pay for one or maybe two sessions with a marriage counsellor, so I can't see how this will really help anyone, unless they can afford to pay for more sessions themselves.

I doubt this $200 would make one iota of difference for anyone's relationship at all.
Do they pay it back if they break up anyway?

Will we even know if the $200 will be used for relationship counselling, given that counsellors are not allowed to reveal any client session details?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this scheme (along with the too generous paid parental leave scheme) is a colossal waste of money.

Should this $20 million be used elsewhere, such as areas in spending that have been cut by this government eg The National Disability scheme?
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 24 January 2014 12:14:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I totally agree and I have already written to Kevin Andrews to tell him it's a waste of my money…..if anyone wants to follow suit his email address is

"Menzies Electorate (K. Andrews, MP)" <menzies@aph.gov.au>
Posted by snake, Friday, 24 January 2014 6:40:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some of the best Councillors I have come across, especially in my younger years, were barmaids.
I did pass some money over the bar and oft times received good advice in return, as well as a cold beer.
If Tony is willing to spring me a couple of Bradmans for such counseling I am all for it.
Though I do suspect the wise barmaids I encountered in my youth are no longer about the shop, boobs having replaced brains, or so I am told.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Friday, 24 January 2014 7:16:37 AM
Yes weird stuff.
If they need counseling at the start of wedded life they have the wrong partner.
Much more importantly I fear Abbott is unable to think of needed reforms
Posted by Belly, Friday, 24 January 2014 7:36:13 AM
Perhaps Abbott could get some counselling?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 24 January 2014 7:45:45 AM
Susie,
I agree, waste of funds. Some stupid advisors idea to buy some votes.

Just like the baby bonus and its unintended consequences.

You would think the LNP would have learned from Labor about the futility of buying votes.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 24 January 2014 8:49:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy