The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The ABC-Keep, Scrap or Change?

The ABC-Keep, Scrap or Change?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Dear spindoc,

Insults are like strong drink or poison.
They can only affect you if you accept them.
I certainly don't - and you really should
re-think your strategy here. What happened
to your tolerance of different points of view?

You really do appear to be riding roughshot on
this issue as Saltpetre pointed out to you in his
earlier post. Your accusations are completely
without merit that no one has given you their
reasons for keeping the ABC. Nonsense. You simply
have chosen to ignore the reasons given by many
posters here - because
they don't support your views.

All I can suggest is for you to go back
and read what people have written, including my
very first post in response to your asking.

Unless you're prepared to hear alternative points
of view to yours you'll end up talking to yourself
or to people who have the wisdom to see things
your way.

Julian Burnside QC (whom I cited in my very first
post) stated:

"Those of us who are torn between the
desert of the Mainstream Media and the jungle of the
internet need a place where rational but diverse views
can be found on matters of enduring importance."

The ABC is such a place.

"It would be difficult to agree
with every view expressed,
but it would be equally difficult
to disagree with them all.
And it would be impossible to
criticise any of them as irrational or foolish."

We need a diversity of views on a wide variety of important
issues - and we need a broadcaster whose editorial content
is not influenced by any political agenda or vested interest.
It's for that reason that I support mainstream non-commercial
taxpayer funded public broadcasting/cybercasting in Australia.

I want a public broadcaster whose responsibility it is to deliver content with
integrity, diligence and transparency and to act in the
interests of citizens. The ABC is such a broadcaster.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 November 2013 10:13:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Spindoc,

The following link may be of some interest:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-22/dempster-the-future-of-public-broadcasting/4902904
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 November 2013 10:26:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy,

If you have given your considered case on this thread I have yet to see it, I’ve just gone through the entire thread and cannot find it. Please direct me to it?

I noted that you adopted the opinion of Julian Burnside and you also provided a link assessing the ABC’s future, from the ABC? You are kidding right?

In spite of being shown a list of all the issues you have not considered, you still ignore them?

I had expected more from you however, your quiet, softer and apparent conflict averse mantra is just that. Perhaps your veneer is a little thicker than the rest of the St Judes Club but in the end, that’s all it is, just a veneer.

You seem to think that by quoting Burnside and the ABC that your case “for” the ABC is made. Nothing could be further from the truth because you cannot or will not go anywhere near the issues, you don’t appear to understand them?

The St Judes Club love to hear the ABC telling you what you already know, how’s that for closed minds?

If you really want to stand apart form the lobotomized ABC club, tackle some of issues listed or stop bleating about you, you ,you and you or rejoin your Club. The public is still funding your minority interest so make the best of it whilst you can.

So much for the “ABC is for a thinking audience”. If intellect were gunpowder you wouldn’t have enough to raise your hats.

When pushed on issues you redirect away from reality. You stubbornly resist the call of anything that does not reflect self interest, just like a bunch of school kids seeking satisfaction of the immediacy.

You summed it all up when you came out with this “gobbledygook” comment.

<< "It would be difficult to agree
with every view expressed,
but it would be equally difficult
to disagree with them all.
And it would be impossible to
criticize any of them as irrational or foolish." >>

What Foxy ?
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 4 November 2013 1:26:12 PM
The ABC is a sheltered workshop. The SBS is the same except it is more exclusively ethnic than the ABC.

I would like both to put up their business case for continuing.

Australia is diverse and multicultural. That being so, surely the ABC is reflecting that in its programs. If it isn't, where can some adjustments be made? Why there should continue to be a whole separate broadcaster and bureaucracy to maintain a multicultural difference is beyond me. The SBS seems to waste a lot of money promoting the round ball football game that is responsible for social and racial divisions, hooliganism and violence abroad, and now, sometimes in Australia too.

Both national broadcasters are elitist.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 4 November 2013 2:41:42 PM
This afternoon I caught one of ABC radios reports on the WA senate fiasco.The station, during prime time, played the whole darn speech of the losing WA labor senator, it must have rambled on for about ten minutes, it felt like it. Has the ABC already anticipated a rerun and started campaigning to reelect labor?
Posted by KarlX, Monday, 4 November 2013 4:42:47 PM
Karl X sorry it was not as you wish ten minutes of lies from your side.
Tell me Karl how long have you been in Australia.
ABC here to stay.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 4 November 2013 4:53:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All