The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do-it-yourself voluntary euthanasia for older Australians

Do-it-yourself voluntary euthanasia for older Australians

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
When euthanasia was legal in the northern territory I seem to remember that you needed to get the consent of three doctors. Maybe there could be a doctor and a couple of government appointed officals who are required to be there along with the family when the actual drug is administered.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 8:25:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would probably be better if you didnt need the consent of three doctors just their confirmantion that you are terminally ill and wish to die peacfully using the appropriate medication.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 8:30:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is claimed that 80% of the population support voluntary euthanasia. How about you readers putting your hands up to be counted and join your local branch of the Voluntary Euthanasia Society and support its leader, Phillip Nitschke – one of the greatest Australians ever.
Posted by healthwatcher, Thursday, 10 May 2007 11:11:52 AM
vivy,

Suicide is legal and there has never been a penalty in law for being successful.

What ever happened to the sleeping pill overdose?

I hope that if I ever need to end my life, because to continue would be unbearable, then the means will be available.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 10 May 2007 5:05:48 PM
The trouble with a sleeping pill or drug overdose is, if you dont know the actual amount to take you may be revived and end up brain damaged or something.

There is hanging by the neck until you're dead
Slicing your wrists
Gasing yourself
Shooting yourself
Non of these is very pleasant for you or your family when they find you and there is still the chance that you may botch it and end up brain damaged or worse off than before.
Thats why we need access to the right drugs and the knowledge of what the correct dosage is.
Posted by sharkfin, Thursday, 10 May 2007 8:50:49 PM
What an absolutely fantastic solution to the extraordinary lengths the Right to Life exercise over those who favour the Right to Die.

Every person under the serious care of a doctor, should have the right for the opportunity to stash their personal supply of Nembutal. Clean, efficient and "relative" friendly one can take a drink with their favorite alcoholic booze and slump into the eternal sleep....I've tasted the stuff and its a little bitter but boy it should beats standing in front of a train, hanging oneself, or smothering a loved one with the nearest pillow......Nembutal used to be all the rage for our grandmothers and they didn't knock themselves off for the hell of it.....

We're living longer but not necessarily better lives with that longevity.....The ABC Documentary wanted to portray ordinary older people who were neither depressed nor anxious about the idea of dying but were aware that Government red tape would ensure they lived a life perhaps not worth living....from their perspective.

The idiot who said that suffering is OK and a life experience to be welcomed as purifying or some rubbish like that, can have my share of suffering.....Unlike the average Christian I can see no good purpose served by anyone suffering when there is no chance of recovery and even more so when it is one of my loved ones or myself...I don't want to be a hero or an example to anyone else about how tough I can show myself to be....I want peace and dignity in death.

I would like to thank the participants for highlighting their journey of discovery. But it is not only the 70 and 80 years that need help, it depends on health as well as age, how well we live and die.
Posted by yourchoiceindying.com, Thursday, 10 May 2007 9:05:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy