The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A meaningless election

A meaningless election

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I did but see it passing by, and yet I love it, 'til it (or I) die.
Yet, I do not see us going 'quietly into the night',
Those of us who see the light; though it may be an earnest fight.

Dear david f,
I would not be so pessimistic, or at least a little more optimistic.
Abbott has barely stepped to the breech, and we know better than to expect our politicians or Parties to fully expose or explain their long-term 'vision' or objectives to us. This is part of the price we pay for our short-sighted cyclical electoral system, as it has been 'maneuvered' into operating.
It is up to us to nudge them in the right direction from time to time.

At least Barnaby Joyce has been voicing concern over things environmental and sustainable, and will not be easily quieted or diverted. I pray he is heeded; but should Abbott falter, and fail to meet expectations, it is quite on the cards that his reign will be short-lived, and we may even see an ascendancy of the Greens movement and authority (should they amend some of their more uninspiring objectives and get more down to tors with their fundamental, environmental and sustainability charter and agenda).
We, and the environment, can co-exist, in beneficial symbiosis, given opportunity.

In my estimation, fracking is far from open-slather, with opposition on many fronts. (And there seem to be far better options for LNG production than this questionable methodology.)

Mining is a lifeblood for the moment, and no taxation scheme could reasonably counter this, but espoused industrial development must be a major component of future national economic sustainability, as overseas mining prospects cause ours to wane.

Population is a concern, and I am sure will be addressed, however, in my view, the maintenance of agricultural sustainability is of key importance, and must be protected. Our farmers are good environmentalists, for the most part, whereas the sale of productive land to offshore interests presents a host of potential hazards, which I trust our government will recognise, and thus avoid.
Posted by Saltpetre, Sunday, 15 September 2013 12:01:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Saltpetre,

I have the feeling regarding the environment that things are never so bad that they can’t get worse. We can only nudge our politicians in the right direction in areas where the population is concerned, and the environment has taken a backseat in the Murdoch-controlled media and the general public.

However, I agree with most of the rest of your post. Although I am a Green I am not happy with their lack of concern for population growth and their putting other issues ahead of environmentalism.

The only other sizable party concerned with fracking was Katter’s who I put second on my ballot. I was sad that he did so poorly and Palmer did so well. There was a swing of 16% against Katter. Even though it wasn’t enough to displace him he could go in the new election.

I agree that mining will remain a lifeblood for the immediate future and would like to see us do more in the area of industrial development. In order to do that we must resort to protectionism to foster those new industries, and I don’t see that happening. In fact I expect cutbacks in the CSIRO in R & D.

We have an anti-environmental government in Queensland. Newman wants to increase shipping through the reef even though it is inevitable that there will be damage to the reef if that is done. I agree that exploiting the mineral wealth of Queensland is important, but a railroad could be built to the Gulf of Carpentaria so increased shipping would not affect the reef.

I doubt that Barnaby Joyce will be any more effective in his concern for the environment in his side of politics than Labor MP Kelvin Thomson was in his concern for population policy in his side of politics.

Many of our farmers are good environmentalists. They want the land preserved for the coming generations. Will foreign owners be so concerned? We could set up mechanisms so consumers could buy directly from farmers who practice environmentalism avoiding the supermarket duopoly, but we probably won’t.

I don't share your optimism.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 15 September 2013 4:21:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, the election must have achieved some good if it ruffled the feathers of a few Greens.

The ignorance of most Greens never ceases to amaze.Take this comment: <<I think there should have been multiculturalism from the beginning>>
Well, if MC means having the option of maintaining ones own cultural values/ways we HAVE had that since the earliest of days. I can point anyone who wants to know --being a descendant of one such community-- to (non-Anglo)immigrant communities that did just that, while communing with all other communities around them.

The main difference is that MC was then not the multi-million dollar funded junket it is today --and, oh yes, we didn't have parties like the Greens who sought to exploit our ethnic divisions.
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 15 September 2013 7:07:49 AM
Tony,
You spruke lefty/green propaganda.

All illegal entrants that arrive by commercial flights are sent back to place of embarkation within 72 hours. They are few in number because the airlines have to bear the cost. Check the DIAC website.

Don't you know there were 50,000 illegals arrive by sea in the last 6 years. Also about 1200-1500 died trying to get here.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 15 September 2013 10:30:27 AM
What gets me with discussions re economy is, that all the experts can't manage despite their supposedly intimate knowledge of things economic. Not one of them is in a self-revenue raising job, all are in the Government" (our) pocket & chewing up the greater percentage of taxpayer dollars for literally nothing. When will someone with real inside knowledge reveal how much of our tax dollar is actually going to the Peter principal brigade. How many are getting top dollar for absolutely no contribution ? It would be very interesting to get some figures. The mandate handed to the Coalition should be exploited to rid our public service of this funding drain by way of natural attrition. No-one should lose their employment but there certainly are many who should be made to chose between a reduced pay or no pay because we can nor do we want to fund this massive syphoning of tax dollars any longer.
The boat arrivals too need to made to understand that things are coming to a halt. No more putting up in Motels & all expenses paid. Start looking after those who have earned their keep & deserve their slice of the social security cake.
Don't make us responsible for others' conundrums born of primitive superstition far away.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 15 September 2013 10:37:28 AM
Poirot,
"Don't hold your breath - the present govt borrowed $800 million this week "already". Legacy from Rudd government.

Already, the incoming PM is to have digs with the police cadets while the Lodge is being eradicated from possums. Julie Bishop has instructed Foreign Affairs to reduce the standard of her accommodation when overseas and that she does not require first class when flying. That is a refreshing start.

I expect the good financial management of the past LNP government to continue.

"More pie in the sky....how do you suggest Mr Abbott and Co are going to do that?'

The LNP stopped the illegals before, so they can do it again, just takes some determination. Do not give the illegals what they seek.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 15 September 2013 11:07:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy