The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Irish named baddies in soapies

Irish named baddies in soapies

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Has anyone noticed how many soapies, esp. English, have baddies with Irish names? From Moriarty in "Elementary", to the murderers in a Miss Marples, numerous Irish named baddies in American films and series - often wealthy, powerful Irish American businessmen in the rackets, when we all know the Irish are not heavily involved in racketeering any more.
I estimate roughly 40% of baddies in recent shows have had Irish names: way above the % of the population at about 20%. Hmmm ... Clem Gorman
Posted by clem gorman, Tuesday, 30 July 2013 7:53:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I estimate roughly 40% of baddies in recent shows have had Irish names:
clem gorman,
I'd think that to be pretty much on the mark with reality. The Irish are in fact the most wide-spread of all migrants. They're everywhere but they assimilate after 4 generations whereas the new lot never will.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 30 July 2013 10:19:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes the Potato famine saw America got its share.
And England,s harsh view of law and order saw us get ours.
I prefer to see the positives we gained from them.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 5:58:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irish stew, Irish whiskey, very smooth. Guiness. I wouldn't mind betting Turnbull has got shares in that. corrupt to the core.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 7:23:39 AM
I be thinking you are talking about the English speaking soapies, So I be right in thinking that 60% of the baddies erred have be called aftar the English.
Cheers
Pádraig

Long live RTÉ
Posted by warmair, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 8:53:45 AM
when one considers a diet of only potato & only your siblings to have any kind of intercourse with then I think the Irish didn't do too badly. This happened in most hidden away small enclaves. Academics on the other hand have genetically evolved into asexuals. Give me an Irish any day no matter what.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 9:35:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy