The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > At what point are we no longer AUSTRALIA.

At what point are we no longer AUSTRALIA.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Been a very long time since I logged in to comment...

Anyway, the premise of the thread seems a little silly to me. To counter the relentless negativity and paranoia it implies, allow me to post this.

It's a collection of responses between Bostonians and Syrians on social networks, with both sides giving condolences over the recent violence in both locations.

Strangely, they were able to communicate, share culture and words, without fearing that they would lose their culture! Imagine that!

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201304222133-0022692
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 8:07:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jay of Melbourne,
Perhaps you should look at your definition of Multiculturalism.

Other than our own, there is no culture that we accept in its entirity. Kiwis are probably the closest to our culture and they are quick to point out the differences between their culture and ours. We do not make special laws to accomodate other cultures. Except in a minor nature, like the subject of this thread.

I maintain that we are multi-racial or multi-ethnic, but not multicultural. Certainly not the MC ideology forced upon us by governments of the past. The basic foundations of our society come from the Westminister system which can be seen in all levels of governance, the services, police, education and emergency systems.

Dispite the imposed ideology, we expect all to obey our laws and live within our social standards. It is up to others to fit in with our way of life.

I definately oppose any move to compromise our culture further just to accomodate some alien cultural whim. We have compromised far too much as it is.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 8:21:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Tony Lavis, some time in the next million or so years I would suspect!

David F, I would assume that being from the US, you enjoy our peaceful existence, and no doubt you have brought a few habits from your country, which I think is great.

However, I assume I would also be right in saying that you didn't come here and try to change our laws, to best suit yourself. Would I be right?

Now for the record, I am not against multiculturalism, unless of cause the culture in question, (which is the case here) wishes to change OUR LAWS to suit their needs or wants.

Now I remember us being called racist, when we wanted the burka removed in public.

We Already have schools where birthdays can't be celebrated with the kids, and the traditional BD cake can't be enjoyed, or the shopping centers where Santa can no longer say HO HO Ho.

As I have said many times over, everyones welcome, just leave your baggage at the front door, because after all, this is Australia and if anyone doesn't like it, they are always welcome to leave.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 8:31:55 PM
rehctub wrote:

David F, I would assume that being from the US, you enjoy our peaceful existence, and no doubt you have brought a few habits from your country, which I think is great.

However, I assume I would also be right in saying that you didn't come here and try to change our laws, to best suit yourself. Would I be right?

Dear rehctub,

You are absolutely wrong.

Apparently you didn't read my post. I am trying to change Australian law to get rid of chaplains in the public schools and subsidies to the non-public schools. I am a citizen of Australia and like every other citizen I have a right to try to change the laws to suit myself. As long as it is done in a democratic way there is absolutely nothing wrong in trying to change the laws to suit myself.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 9:13:37 PM
Banjo,
That sounds more like the U.S.A than Australia.
Look,as a result of the Immigration Restriction Act White Supremacy was not to become entrenched in this country the way it did in the U.S.A.
The Act was devised to prevent the kinds of racial strife which had occurred elsewhere, that's why we've always been more tolerant and easygoing when it comes to people of other races. The problem with immigration is and has always been caused by the Anglo bourgeoisie and the economic elite, if you look back over our history the elites were constantly trying to implement a White Supremacist system with an Asian proletariat or bonded servant caste.
Go to the Trove site and look over the old editorials and letters to the editor from the 1890's, the White workers were at war with the pastoralists and squatters over their use of cheap Asian labour to build up monopolies and a colonial aristocracy or oligarchy.
Flash forward to today, the same crony capitalist class and middle class criminals are trying the same thing all over again, creating cartels and monopolies through the use of Asian labour.
The government is soon going to have to resort to some form of immigration restriction act to pull the criminals into line or face the racial strife predicted by the labour movement all those years ago.
White Supremacy isn't Skinheads, Lynch Mobs and White Hoods those are the reactions to it, it's real face is the Oligarchs and their bourgeoisie and they hate ordinary White people like you and I.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 9:33:33 PM
Dear Rehctub,

<<As I have said many times over, everyones welcome, just leave your baggage at the front door, because after all, this is Australia and if anyone doesn't like it, they are always welcome to leave.>>

There is nothing that grants you a monopoly over this whole continent, enforcing your particular way of life over everyone living on it. May I remind you that your ancestors have taken it by force, through the barrel of the gun from its original owners: which gives you no moral right over this continent (and the islands around it).

What you and your ancestors developed here by the sweat of your brow is yours and neither myself nor David F want to take it away, nor do we want to tell you how to live your life (apparently it is you who demand that we may not ride a bicycle without wearing a pot on our head), but this vast land is not yours and if we cannot find a way to live together in peace, respecting each other's liberty to live according to our respective values (religious or otherwise), then we will need to share and split this land.

We are here and that's a fact, we are Australian citizens, we have nowhere else to go and just because our culture is different to yours we are not going to leave any more than you are going to leave back to England.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 24 April 2013 10:10:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All