The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > It's time for the number crunchers to stand up and be counted.

It's time for the number crunchers to stand up and be counted.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
With the demise of yet another toll road, the airport tunnel in Brisbane, it's about time those who provide the numbers, used to plan the viability of these projects, take the heat for their miss directed advise.

No doubt, they're off planning another possible disaster, as for them, it's business as usual as I doubt they are accountable for their gross misrepresentation.

Surely they have a case to answer!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 6:35:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apart from the viability numbers being wrong I will bet that the projected cost was blown out by millions of dollars.

I smell a rat (big bribes).
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:21:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Big bribes? number crunchers?
At least I can comment in this matter from an informed position.
I give my credentials for that statement.
22 years on the then DMR/RTA in NSW I saw the first major road contracted construction start here.
10 years union official, not like the average view of one, welcomed in the office and told the whole story, bribes play a minor roll.
Governments send green folk in to supervise contracts, constantly demanding extras not on the agreed contract.
That first contract, is often given on price, not ability of contractor to deliver it.
Extras, make the difference, that first contract cost near twice its contracted one.
the Contractors never had the ability to deliver.
Consider these words, given to RTA peak body unions /management, I was in that group.
Quote *we under stand in the short term it will cost more to build roads*?
*Our aim is to build 4 or more Australian contracting firms who will compete with each other to win jobs, decreasing the costs eventually*
They have failed, very few such projects come in on cost target, toll roads are sometimes paid for and constructed by their owners not government contractors, and still cost more and deliver less income.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 20 February 2013 6:43:40 AM
It's time for the number crunchers to stand up and be counted.

rehctub,
Well overdue yes & they must be made accountable so we can have a possible stop to that exorbitant waste of our money. I experience this waste on an almost daily basis. And yes there is an awful lot of bribing but the bureaucrats call it consultation so it's legal.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 20 February 2013 7:52:25 AM
None of the toll roads will pay a return let alone repay borrowings.
Matt Mushlik has done a study on toll roads and their finances.

http://crudeoilpeak.info/

He has a write up on the Brisbane failure and he has other pages on the
Transurban problem.

At some point it will become uneconomic to buy the petrol & tolls to
drive to work on those roads.
They like new Sydney airports are a 20th century solution to a 21st
century problem.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 20 February 2013 8:55:21 AM
In NSW at least government pays for some toll way shortfalls.
It is also true many avoid with a passion any toll road, it can add up by weekend.
Toll road owners make claims to bring extra funds from governments.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 20 February 2013 3:29:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy