The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Mentality are our Police ?

What Mentality are our Police ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
individual,

If a police officer books a drunk driver who has seen fit to get behind the wheel....that isn't entrapment.

If the police officer had encouraged or enticed the drunken person to drive and then booked him - "that" would be entrapment.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 15 February 2013 4:21:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,
For a Police officer to watch a person under the influence of alcohol go to the car & open the car door & then bounce on them & take them to the watch house IS ENTRAPMENT. The chap who thought himself too drunk to drive went to his car to secure his valuables only put the keys in the door when the coppers bounced on him. That is entrapment. Where I live drivers have a few beers & then slowly drive home, a distance of about 2 km at most. All of them would be quite happy to leave the car in the car park & walk. The dilemma is that the Police do not patrol the car park & cars invariably get smashed by 10 15 year olds whom the Police are too timid to send home. At times the Law really is a Catch22. There is no public transport & if people walk they run the gauntlet of the teenage hoods. In this situation I would expect an officer to either do his job but they don't. They rather go for the sure bet of writing some tickets whilst the hoods run a muck.
Posted by individual, Friday, 15 February 2013 4:48:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting story...I thought the keys had to be in the ignition.

That "particular" episode does sound a bit hardhearted and dodgy.....but it ain't "entrapment".
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 15 February 2013 5:21:02 PM
o sung wu,

Just to answer the question I posed to you. NSW laws give immunity against civil and criminal liability for a person acting in defence of himself or another person. The Prosecution has to prove that the defender, in taking whatever action s/he did, did not believe in her/his own mind, that the action was really necessary.

In Queensland the onus of proof is on the unfortunate victim, the homeowner, to defend his/her actions, and s/he would almost certainly be charged with every offence the police can use. On the other hand the real villain of the piece, the criminal who invaded the home, enjoyes the right that police have to prove a case against him.

The State of Queensland (and other States and Territory save NSW) puts ordinary citizens at substantial risk of a serious charges and expensive law proceedings for defending himself and his loved ones in his own home.

However even though NSW citizens have the legal protection as stated, the poor elderly chap in the case cited had to wait four plus months and suffer invasion of privacy and public humiliation by the sensationalist tabloid media before being cleared. Still, had it happened in another jurisdiction, he could have lost everything defending humself and even then be convicted of an offence. How to be a victim twice! The Nanny States protect criminals, not law abiding citizens.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 15 February 2013 6:14:14 PM
HI there ONTHEBEACH...

Whatever you say ?

Hi there INDIVIDUAL...

I'm afraid your assertion of 'entrapment' is substantially flawed.

I reckon for me at least, this topic has waned somewhat.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 15 February 2013 8:31:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello o sung wu

Would you care to comment on my views on entrapment?:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5627#155376
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 15 February 2013 9:19:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All