The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mercedes Benz owners of Australia

Mercedes Benz owners of Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Does anyone know the reason as to why so many ordinary people own Mercedes Benz cars?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 13 January 2013 6:29:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a strange question.

My brother and wife got themselves a rather natty and not too expensive BMW - and now I'm sure he swans around in it as a grand example of their conspicuous consumption - I suppose other people might feel the same about a Merc.

The only time I drove one occasionally was in my teens when I was working at a car-wash - they were rather nice and seemed to drive themselves, all one had to do was steer.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 13 January 2013 7:33:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That should be "My brother and "his" wife..."

(I haven't got a wife :)
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 13 January 2013 7:35:01 PM
I would guess it must be because they used to last reasonable well, so older ones are available reasonable cheaply. Until about 25 years ago they were exceptionally well built cars. They are now trading on that history, as the current things are of only average, quality.

I find with all the German marques, someone is ripping the motorist off dreadfully with parts prices, & would not consider ever falling into their trap.

Perhaps some people still find some prestige in the make of car they drive.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 13 January 2013 9:27:00 PM
Perhaps it
makes them feel less "ordinary.?" Why do some people
like sports cars or sun-roofs in their cars, or
being seen with good-looking females? It's a matter
of appearances - is it not? If you've got it -
flaunt it as Liz Taylor once said to Princess Margaret
when Princess Margaret told Liz that Liz's diamond ring was
"vulgar." Liz palced the ring on Princess Margaret's
finger and asked, "Is it still vulgar?"
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 13 January 2013 9:40:24 PM
Lexi I am hurt. All my cars are sports cars. One has gone 3 years without it's top being unfolded. Another has only had it's roof up only once in 5 years, when I was caught in a 2 inch thunder storm, 70Km from home.

It proved my sense of humour at least is still healthy, when I found it funny, when the water came in through the quickly erected hood, almost as fast as it was coming from the sky. Just as well it was Qld summer.

It's all right for you kids, with your lovely flexible bodies, with knees & hips that still bend, but do think of us old buggers some times.

Just joking sweety, but about 8 years ago now I started to have bad days, when getting into a car with a roof was quite difficult.

I went through 8 cars trying to find things I liked, & could get into, that did not give me back or hand troubles, when driving long distances. My kids loved it. The youngest daughter got the Peugeot convertible, when it didn't work for me, & my son simply swiped a nice old classic Triumph, leaving an old Cressida in its place. He told me it would be too expensive for me to run. Do you think I should send the cops after him?

Many people stop & talk about when they last saw or owned one of those, when they see my nicely restored up old things, others think I'm mad. Take your pick.

Come to think of it, I suppose those Mercedes drivers are actually kindred spirits.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 13 January 2013 10:31:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy