The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nuclear industry has been exposed. Australia should keep the uranium in the ground

Nuclear industry has been exposed. Australia should keep the uranium in the ground

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
New release of world problems throughout the nuclear industry has exposed the dangers and coverups. The waste disposal industry has failed safety regulations and presents greater problems in future. Sellafield is just one example and the British govt is lost as to how it can solve the massive problems at Sellafield.
Posted by concerned citizen for good governance, Thursday, 3 January 2013 10:48:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Concerned,

I'm aware of the recent fire safety excercise that generated some criticisms of procedures by the safety authority but no incidents.

I have a long term collegue that works for BNF at Sellafield so some specifics might help expand on your discussion into something meaningfull.

Thanks.
Posted by spindoc, Thursday, 3 January 2013 12:03:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you do not mine and sell the Uranium.

1) What are you going to do with the now thousands of unemployed people?

2) What services are you going to cut to account for the reduced revenue from uranium?

3) How are you going to stop other countries selling uranium - because if we don't sell it someone else will?

I have no opinion either way but the consequences for not doing it must be taken into account.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 3 January 2013 12:49:31 PM
Our government services are paid for by industry. Some we don't like, but it's going to be taken advantage of whether we're part of it or not. We may as well keep as much in country as we can to pay for the government services most take for granted.

It's a necessary evil.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 3 January 2013 6:50:22 PM
Our solution should be to lease reactor ready fuel to other countries.
No further fuel unless the depleted fuel is returned.

It implies that we do the refining here, reprocessing and storage of
the multiple reprocessed residue. From my limited knowledge I believe
that after multiple reprocessing the radio activity level is much lower.

It will give us an industry that will be an energy rich industry.
This will occur at a time of a world energy poor economy.
If we leave it too long the economy will not be in a condition to do
the job and the finance will have all evaporated.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 4 January 2013 7:37:43 AM
Dear Concerned,

As you can see from the responses, we are attempting to answer questions that you have not yet put.

When are you going to tells us what on earth you are talking about
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 4 January 2013 8:11:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy