The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Climate Change Again But.

Climate Change Again But.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. All
"Surely you're not suggesting that anything fraudulent should be covered up?"

What's fraudulent? AR5 is due for release in September 2013

We've been through the cherry picking thing before. Cherry picking is drawing a contradicting conclusion from carefully selected evidence, while ignoring the "full body" of evidence.

In the case of the leaked report that has denialists citing a game changer. It's a classic cherry pick in lifting a sentence from a paragraph while ignoring the rest of the paragraph.

Anthony Watts is fair wetting himself from all the excitement over at WUWT, judging from this:

http://wattsupwiththat.com

8 updates!!

Here's update number 9:

http://climatecrocks.com
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 15 December 2012 9:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth,

Since you're an enthusiastic proponent of the "earth hasn't warmed for 15 years" brigade, I thought I'd send you and early Christmas present:

[sweetie]

http://skepticalscience.com/global-warming-lesson-for-monckton-and-co.html
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 15 December 2012 11:24:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Poirot,

No, I'm not an enthusiastic supporter of the no-warming brigade, I'm simply a searcher of truth, whatever it may be, one way or the other, something that we have to deal with and not just rely on our ideological dogmas/dogmata. Truth trumps dogma, Poirot.

Have world temeratures risen over the past decade or so, or not ?

I can wait until September 2013, sweetie :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 16 December 2012 8:07:15 AM
Loudmouth,

Have world temperatures risen over the past decade or not ?"

Risen in comparison to what?

To 1998?

1998 was the warmest year on record.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2011-temps.html

"The global average surface temperature in 2011 was the ninth warmest since 1880....The finding continues a trend in which nine of the 10 warmest years in the modern meteorological record have occurred since the year 2000."

A snapshot of 2012 in the US - warmest on record.
http://www.climatewatch.noaa.gov/video/2012/the-making-of-the-hottest-year-on-record-usa-temperature-update

You saying that your just a searcher of truth is like someone asking the whereabouts of the TV remote - having it handed to them - and then asking again "Where's the TV remote?"

No matter how many times you're presented with that which you seek, you simply ask the question again....that's what denialists do.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 16 December 2012 9:08:03 AM
Hi Poirot,

In comparison to the long-term trend, since 1850.

That video was very persuasive, although its prediction of a warmer-than-average winter might ha e been a bit premature - it seems that the contiguous USA has been experiencing an early winter, like Europe.

That's extreme weather for you, and all because of AGW, you might say.

My point - why I'm a little sceptical - is that capitalism needs change, in order to keep growing - check out Vance Packard's work on 'planned obsolezcence'. Capitalist firms will make money from whatever they can, and a major switch in technology may be one way to do it, on a massive scale.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 16 December 2012 10:00:20 AM
Oops, I'm sorry, Poirot - that last paragraph - about capitalist exploitation of opportunities - is really quite irrelevant to the facts of the matter of AGW or not-AGW - are world temperatures, and sea-levels, rising, due to man-made causes, or not ?

Empirical data is what we should work with, not suspected motives, otherwise we are back in the dark ages as far as 'research' and 'evidence' are concerned, putting motive before evidence.

So I guess we will have to wait until September next year, when the IPCC releases its paper ? They can't speed it all up a bit ? There are urgent issues at stake, after all.

Cheers,

joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 18 December 2012 4:56:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy