The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do we buy Gold?

Do we buy Gold?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
UOG said;
If you own stocks or bonds or any investment through a broker, you
don’t really own those investments. They are pooled and if the broker
goes under, you’re shi@t out of luck.

I don't think this correct for shares as the shareholder records do not
belong to the broker but the company.
With company bonds, it depends on whether the company has the funds to
repay the holder.
The same applies to government bonds, as the holders of Greek and
Spanish bonds have now discovered.
Anyone here foolish enough to own Australian Government bonds ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 15 October 2012 12:26:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While it is true that gold does seem to simply hold its value against currency in the long term, it is not the case in times of trouble.

I would not have wanted much confederate money after the US civil war, or much Jap currency after WW11.

In times of turmoil I have seen it spike to extreme heights a number of times, & I have a feeling such times are coming again soon.

Add to that the amount of money printing going on in the US & now Europe, & any money we are holding being devalued by the day. I am not prepared to do enough research to be sure where to put what little I have, but I sure don't want it in super, where it is at the mercy of the share market. Never did have any super anyway.

I think a mixture of cash at 30 day call, & the yellow stuff is the best idea right now. Interest rates are now so low as to be not worth the minor risk of access being frozen, to my mind.

Belly, I don't think the straight yellow stuff is a very good fertilizer, but a few ounces planted with the cabbage seeds is a good insurance policy I think.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 15 October 2012 12:58:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everyone is bailing out to $ US and when hyper-inflation hits, interest rates will rise.With fear and little demand unemployment rises.This is called stag-flation which is very difficult stop because of fear which stops consumption.

Right now rates have dropped but people are not buying.With virtually no manufacturing we don't have much in the way of real jobs outside the service,building and retail sector.When fear sets in and people lose faith,no amount of rate cuts will revive our economy.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 15 October 2012 1:21:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*When fear sets in and people lose faith,no amount of rate cuts will revive our economy.*

That's ok Arjay, for no matter what, I reckon you will still want to
eat. I will certainly consider taking payment of gold bars for your
food :)
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 15 October 2012 1:44:28 PM
FOOD..you want MORE FOOD
well stuff ya

http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Monsanto_honey_bees_colony_collapse.html

what ya going to hand fertilise ya seeds
or buy them from satantos?

they own food..if your food got their genes
you will b e sued.,.

so yeah grow ya own food
while ya can..[gmo seed causes sterility/cancer 3 rd generation

yes your rich
but what else ya got

not peace
soon no food..become breatharian..no not that type of arian
lol

were not all crusading captalists
nor crony commies..nor fat cats..or shiela'

bah childish girls in politricks
not a pretty face in the lot of em
how come the [lets say homey not ugly]..seem to seek out
the things men like?

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Beginning_of_a_new_%E2%80%98Great_Game%E2%80%99_in_Afghanistan/21959/0/38/38/Y/M.html

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/massive-u-s-air-assets-being-deployed-to-israel-in-the-next-10-da

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/list-of-the-elite-that-run-the-federal-reserve/23469/

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/10/more-deaths-amounting-from-meningitis.html
Posted by one under god, Monday, 15 October 2012 2:25:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why is this complete and utter misconception still doing the rounds?

>>There are about $700 trillion of derivatives worldwide in a $70 trillion economy. It’s pretty easy to see that there cannot possibly be enough collateral backing.<<

Surely, it is so patently ridiculous that any normal person would instantly go "nah, that can't possibly be right", and go away and educate themselves on exactly why it cannot possibly be right.

As I have pointed out before, this is gonzo mathematics. Derivatives do not add themselves up to form one massive exposure.

It is akin to adding up all the bets placed on a horse race - say, $700 trillion, just for the sake of an example - and then telling the bookmaker that his exposure is $700 trillion. This would only be his exposure if all the horses won. But of course, they don't. There is only one winner. He pays out on that, and keeps the rest. (Note: I am aware that have simplified this a little. But the principle remains intact)

Why is this so incredibly difficult for some folk to understand?
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 15 October 2012 2:55:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11