The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Media beat up about guns.

Media beat up about guns.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I don't think our media have the ability to "suppoprt" anything other than ratings.
Posted by StG, Monday, 11 June 2012 6:56:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So what's next ?, we ban televising the skeet shooting event because it shows some one using a [ AAaarrghh ] GUN?. This sort of BS is getting out of hand. What if the swimmer is a member of a gun club ?.
This crap defys belief and the newspapers AND the body that sent them home ought to be nailed to a cross or committed.
Posted by pepper, Monday, 11 June 2012 10:07:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that the media have blown this way out of proportion, I don't see how anyone could take offense to this image. It seems the media are desperate for stories when run crap like this.I don't even think this is glorifying guns in any way, it's just two young blokes in a foreign country having a laugh with a silly photo. If they had been in Asia for instance it would've been the same except with monkeys instead of guns.
Posted by chamberskieren, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 1:23:20 PM
Whoa people. Lots of gnashing of teeth and renting of garments on both sides it would seem.

I think the most sensible comment thus far was from our Olympic Gold Metal shooter Russell Mark. He said:

"One of them did a Chopper Read pose, and I think Nick's got a pistol and is pointing virtually at Kenrick's rib cage, which was an unsafe position. It was an aggressive pose with a firearm ... if I had've done that, I would have been dragged over the coals as well. But as to banning them from the Olympic team ... that would have been a massive overreaction. I think the punishment they've got is just a note to say 'Guys, you're on notice here. Get your act together, keep your nose out of the media, don't post any stupid photos on Facebook, concentrate on swimming and things will be right'."
The Age

Both these blokes have form and for the good of themselves, their team mates and our Olympic campaign they should be on a tight leash. This was a tug on that leash. The fact that the media and you lot have chosen to over hype it doesn't make the facts something they aren't.

As for people thinking no one could be offended by the photo I hope we would all have the good grace to recognise Walter Mikac definitely has that right, and be sympathetic to him expressing it.
Posted by csteele, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 2:53:33 PM
Yaaah!

http://www.mrtoledano.com/the-united-states-of-entertainment/07
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 3:44:32 PM
csteele,
The anti gun lobby used the pic to push their barrow. and it was blown up by sensational media. The AOC punished the blokes about nothing at all.

The AOC ended up seriously embarrassed and it was generous of Russell Mark to give the AOC a straw to grasp.

Lisa Curry said what atheletes do when not training is their business and others should butt out.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:53:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy