The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Transinstitutionalisation in Australia.

Transinstitutionalisation in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I am currently a social work student and the focus of my research at the moment has been about the impact deinstitutionalisation has had on people suffering from a mental illness. I strongly agreed with Richard Ackland in his article in the Sydney Morning Herald last July (see http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/modern-prescription-for-mental-illness-go-directly-to-jail-20110728-1i20q.html) when he acknowledged the link between deinstitutionalisation and a rise in mental health issues among incarcerated people. (Transinstitutionalisation)

At last count, mental illness ran at 3 to 4 times the rate in the prison population then the imprisoned community. Something has got to change in Australia to ensure we are giving these people the care that they need, not just locking them up for crimes which could have been prevented if adequate early community intervention was available.

Keen to hear others thoughts on this issue. Do you think transinstitutionalisation does exist? What changes do you see need to be made in Australian Mental Health policy over the next years?
Posted by Claire T, Monday, 30 April 2012 4:24:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome ClaireT bit surprised no one has had a look.
Maybe they thought you wanted tom talk about the mental health issues we are hearing about after detention of boat people.
I remember when institutions held thousands more than now.
Names like Calan Park and Rosevile in Sydney.
Some dreadful story's but not all bad.
I have, for 40 years, been concerned at the dumping of folk on the streets or shifty accommodation schemes hurting them.
Have no answers but will watch your thread and learn.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 1 May 2012 3:43:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi How will our government's cope with all the older people who have been made redundant,under employed etc start showing up at hospitals, mental heath hospital and even may be goal because they cannot cope,or lose there homes etc,There is a new wave coming.
Posted by 50startingagain, Tuesday, 1 May 2012 5:15:06 PM
Dear Claire T.,

It may help your research to Google -
Jeff Kennett and what he did to the mentally ill
in Victoria when he was state Premier.
He sold their rehabilitation hospitals and grounds
and left thousands homeless. There was a huge
spike in suicides in the later 1990s. During
this hard time regular and frequent psychotherapy
ceased for the severely mentally ill and has never
been re-instituted. Many families (thousands) lives
changed forever by Jeff Kennett. He used the severely
mentally ill to balance his budget.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 1 May 2012 8:42:35 PM
Jeff Kennett now runs Beyond Blue a Internet based mental health site,maybe all mental health patient should just buy a computer and all there problem would be fixed over the net so no need for building and staff.
Posted by 50startingagain, Tuesday, 1 May 2012 8:55:17 PM
Thanks for your posts everyone. I will do some research into Jeff Kennett and his work with beyond blue and also what he did in Victoria while he was premier.

What do you see as the main problems with mental health policy in Australia? Keen to hear your thoughts.
Posted by Claire T, Wednesday, 2 May 2012 10:38:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy