The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Insurance company scare tactics.

Insurance company scare tactics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I don't know about you,but i am fedup to the gills with the insurance companies saying"it may cost $30.000 for a funeral".Yea if you want a gold lined coffin and all the whistles and bells.Anyone with half a brain knows you can get a cheap cremation for around $1,500.I realise that a good many people don't want to be cremated but surely a modest burial is a lot cheaper than $30,000.If your family is poor and you have no assets the government will pay.I consider this to be scare tactics and am heartily sick of the advertisements on television.No wonder i prefer to read a book,at least i am not made to feel guilty that my beneficiaries will have to part with some of their hard earned(and i use the the term loosely) inheritance to see my earthly remains are disposed of.Maybe i am just getting old and crotchety but i do find this sort of advertising offensive.
Posted by haygirl, Friday, 30 March 2012 2:57:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear haygirl,

I've always believed in being prepared for anything.
So we're insured up to the hilt. This comes from having
a father who died suddenly at the age of 52 - not having
left a will. My mother was in great financial difficulty
as a result. We had to help her out with the funeral.
Anyway, I won't go into any more details - only to say -
I think that it's better to be prepared then not. And not
to leave any sort of burden to others. That to me is a
bit selfish. BTW - we've even bought our cemetery plots -
so I know where I'm going to be spending my days after I
pass on. And no, you're not being crotchety at all - you're
like my mum - who thinks its ain't going to happen to her -
any time soon - so why worry - it will be our problem not
hers. Funny - she forgets what she was put through.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 30 March 2012 6:14:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you, Haygirl. I think its just another way for
insurance companies to make money from older and vulnerable people.
In the end they do it, because it makes them a quid.
Fear is what sells insurance.

Most people during their lives will have accumulated a few assets
together, far more then what the funeral expenses are going to be.
So the funeral costs can be paid by the executor of the will.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 30 March 2012 6:57:15 PM
dont sweat on it
next june..the us supreem court rules on obama care

no way govt can mandate commerce
thus...compulsory govt mandated insurance..must be found to be unconstitutional

yeah i hate them adverts
[my wife had one fully paidup..bought for her as a child]

recently she accepted an 'offer'..to settle for a few dollars
insurance works..because few ever claim

who knew
its easy money
then you let the shelf company go bust
[not saying they will..but they can..take the money and run]

the kids wont know any better
wont even think to look
grief does funny things
but so too greed

insdurance neds the income..now
it couldnt careless re later...[the cash earned this year..goes to investers..[underwriters for this year]..its gone

look how the floods doubled the cost
insurance is a scam..govts should do it automaticly[for all]

govt proffits in good times..
and must be there after the bad times

it wont be spending your cash
in dubi or switerland.[hopefully]
Posted by one under god, Friday, 30 March 2012 10:02:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Haygirl, hope you stayed dry over there.
OUG bit off subject.
And yabby yes that is how mine will be, may have to pay for one or two others.
I think we need a bit of cheap brand burials as competition, and that we should remember insurance is a money maker big time.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 31 March 2012 4:46:48 AM
UOG thanks for your input but as i live in Australia,Obama's healthscheme has no impact on me.Lexi,i had to pay for my 16 year old son's funeral when he died in a road accident so i am aware of the financial hardship this can cause.I borrowed the money.As i said,a government funded funeral is available for those suffering hardship(i was not aware of this when my son died ).I believe the insurance companies are targeting the older and quite often more vulnerable people. Whatever happened to ads for other products?I feel we are being bombarded with insurance scaremongering.Even magazines have full page funeral ads now.I am fully aware that my time shall come,probably earlier than it should as i have smoked 40 a day for 47 years.I don't want to be reminded of my impending demise every time i watch t.v.or read a paper or magazine.
Posted by haygirl, Saturday, 31 March 2012 5:03:11 AM
I am not averse to having insurance,it is a great idea.I am however sick to death,no pun intended, of having it rammed down my throat.
Posted by haygirl, Saturday, 31 March 2012 6:13:16 AM
Dear haygirl,

Fair enough.

And you're probably right.

However, I still can't forget the difficult times we
went through when my dad died - and being totally
unprepared. I vowed to never let it happen to any of
my family again. Still my brothers have no such
insurance - and one of the wives happily told me that
when my brother died (i.e. her husband) I'd be the first
she'd contact to "take care of things." Nice.
We sent them money to bury her mother a few years back.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 31 March 2012 9:53:13 AM
haygirl...what usa courts do..sets a precedant
[at leasst insurance fears so]..thus the reaping of 'new policies'
for pets/death etc..[income]

you wont see any advert telling people that only one in 4 peoople can get cancer[let alone from smoking]..[noting woodsmoke..is the biggest cause of lung cancer[and diesal particulate..from trucks/stationary moters..express way tunnle vents [poluted big cities]..etc..rates second..toobacco barely rates third

but govt is about fear/lies
put us into the fight..or flight reflex

some fight..[like yourself]
others run

but i look forward to my 'death'
i know im a spirit...having a 'life' experience..[here//now]

where death is
there is an instant re-birth]
energy..cant be 'created'..nor 'destroyed'
[yes even that energy..animating your flesh]

we are eternal spirits
undergoing a single life in sentanance[em -body..in your material/body][in the flesh..but all flesh dies...no way they canm afford to bury us all

so clearly that must be a scam

recall insurance COUNTS*
on us..*not needing that..we 'insure for'!

with death we all die...thus the scam..
they dont expect us to use it?

...lol

im not dying to proove it
but try collecting it
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 31 March 2012 10:08:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi,it sounds like your sister-in- law is a real treasure.I think people should have funeral insurance, especially when they are just starting out and have a family.You can get a policy for a small amount each week.My problem is,the ads show only older men talking.We are getting 2 or 3 of them every ad break.I don't have funeral insurance and am only a pensioner but i do have my own house and i am sure it's value will realise more than enough for a basic cremation.
Posted by haygirl, Saturday, 31 March 2012 10:22:08 AM
Dear haygirl,

I can't really blame my sister-in-law.
We've always been regarded as the
rich relies and that's because since dad died
at such an early age - I've always helped my
brothers out in one way or another. My brother
lives in Byron Bay - and has been smoking pot
for years. He's currently given it up (he tells me)
due to major heart surgery. He had no health
insurance - so you guessed it - I sent him over
$5,000 to help with his medical bills.
Anyway - it's an ongoing saga - and
I won't bore you with the details. You're
right - the adds are a bit much - and I understand
where you're coming from.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 31 March 2012 11:11:33 AM
Hi,Lexi,wouldn't your brother have been covered by the public health system?I have a friend who just had 4 stents inserted in her heart and it was done quickly on the public scheme.I imagine the NSW health works the same as QLD.Tell everyone that you lost all your money gambling and you won't have to take responsibilty for them.I am being flippant but do know where you are coming from.All the best.
Posted by haygirl, Saturday, 31 March 2012 12:15:54 PM
Dear haygirl,

Yes it was under the public health scheme that he
had his by-pass operation but there were additional
expenses that the scheme did not cover. Anyway,
it was a very emotional time for the family, and I
was able to help - so I did.
Anyway, enough said. I didn't mean to get carried away
here - only to give you a bit of a background as to why
I'm for taking out insurance. Thanks for your good wishes.
And All the Best to you and yours.
Take care.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 1 April 2012 1:04:24 PM
I went to the funeral on Saturday of an old friend, died age 75 after years of illness. She and her husband were on the OAP, had nothing (apart from family and friends). We were quietly and politely asked not to bring flowers, but, if we wished, to contribute to the funeral expenses to help the family out. Unfortunately even a 'cheap' funeral (burial not cremation) still costs some thousands. Knowing the family circumstances, I was happy to do so.
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 2 April 2012 10:09:31 AM
Hi Haygirl,
I pretty much agree, but it's the endless repetition of TV ads featuring idiots and aimed at idiots, that I find hard to put up with.
"And there are no complicated forms to fill out..." WOw! Well that makes all teh difference.
Talk about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Oh, and UOG,
I think you might be confused about which country you live in.
Or maybe you actually do live in the USA.
In any case, a US Supreme Court decision on American healthcare legislation actually has, now what's the expression I'm looking for? Oh, right, stuff all to do with Australia.
Anthony
http://www.observationopint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 April 2012 10:11:55 AM
no sweat antimov
ignorance of the law is no excuse

usa is still a common wealth..at heart
at its core/root..its common law becomes ours
Posted by one under god, Monday, 2 April 2012 11:23:17 AM
UOG,
Time for a reality fix.
Please name me one law that has come into being in Australia, because it came into law in the US.
Moreover, we in Australia still operate under the Westminster System.
The Americans do not.
Just one example: in the US, administration is by appointees reporting to an elected President, who is not the leader of any of the political parties and indeed, may not even be a member of any political party.
Here in Australia the PM is by definition the party leader and administration is done via ministers who must be elected polticians.
There are thousands of other differences.
One final point.
The US Constitution bears little resembelence to the Australian Constitution, the bulk of which is to do with establishing what is federal and what are state jurisdictions. There is little in the Australian Constitution about individual rights.
Thus it is entirely wrong to assume that what is constitutionally established in the US is also thus established in Australia, or indeed, is related in any way, shape or form.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au

My point being that the US poltical and judicial systems and ours have diverged widely since breaking away from tehir common ancestor, English law.
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 April 2012 12:17:19 PM
Anthony asked: Please name me one law that has come into being in Australia, because it came into law in the US.

The Copyright Amendment Act 2006 made changes required by the US-Australia Free Trade. The most significant is extending the copyright period from 50 to 70 years after author'd death. Basically, the Free-Trade agreement required Australia to change our law to match US law.

There may be other examples; I just know about this because I work with copyright material.
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 2 April 2012 12:42:24 PM
Cossomby,
Yes, you're right but that law did not flow from the US to Australia. It became Australian law as a consequence of a joint pact, as you say, not as UOG is suggesting because what becomes law in the US becomes law in Australia.
My point is that while our adoption of the Westminster system did cause existing law in the UK to become precedent for Australian law, no such relationship with the US exists.
Anthony
http://www.osbervationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 April 2012 1:51:36 PM
I haven't seen any advertisements as I never watch them, but I have left instructions that if no medical organisation wants my body for any bits or for teaching purposes, a cardboard box is sufficient with no ceremony, religious or otherwise, so that I can just be tossed into the oven as cheaply as possible. Within 50 years I will be forgotten by anyone that ever knew me anyway.
Posted by snake, Monday, 2 April 2012 5:40:47 PM
Wishful thinking, Snake. In 50 years the message you've just posted will be quoted in an on-line marketing report (aka PhD thesis) on changing attitudes to funeral practices in the early 21C, your alias will be broken, and your choice of a cardboard box will be correlated with your eating habits, clothes choice and political views. This will then be used to support the development of an up-market line of cardboard coffins with built-in digital connections to ensure that if you're accidentally buried alive you can call for help. The cost of the cardboard box will be 20,000 Australian New Yen equivalent to $100,000 old Australian dollars.
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 2 April 2012 6:39:01 PM
Cossomby

I laughed out loud. You are probably right. We live in a crazy world where privacy went out of the window to be replaced by marketing......How I hate that word and why I NEVER look a advertisements because they irritate me so much, but that's a whole new subject.
Posted by snake, Monday, 2 April 2012 7:05:46 PM
Hey snake,I also have requested no funeral.Will be cremated and my ashes spread on the same beautiful mountainside as my son.Once my immediate family are gone noone will even remember me.I have told my family to have a party as a way of saying goodbye.They can listen to my rock and roll music and have a laugh at the antics i have gotten up to.
Posted by haygirl, Tuesday, 3 April 2012 4:31:34 AM
Cossomby,thanks for the laugh.In this day and age what you wrote actually makes sense.LOL
Posted by haygirl, Tuesday, 3 April 2012 4:36:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy