The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Dvorak System of Typing

Dvorak System of Typing

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Have a look at

http://www.golgotha.net/node/41

Which is an article on switching to the Dvorak system of typing.

It is a story by a man who switched after using a QWERTY board for 25 years, one Randy Edwards
" Over the years when I would bother to measure my typing speed I'd often hit over 100... The Dvorak layout is shockingly efficient. It's attractive to businesses since it reduces costs due to repetitive motion injuries (e.g. carpal tunnel syndrome). One study found that the Dvorak layout reduced finger movement by 70% compared to the QWERTY layout...Using logic in laying out a keyboard -- as opposed to creating a keyboard layout whose goal was to actually slow down typists -- can really make a difference".

As Dvorak is so much better, then could it not be taught in our schools? If it will lead to an increase in efficiency then why not use it?
QWERTY was a system adopted in the 19th Century to deliberately slow down fast typists as they were exceeing the speed capabilities of their then 'cutting edge' machines.
So why persist with an outmoded system that had passed its use-by date by 1930?

I've used it for years and have seen a few posts from other users

Anyone else out there use Dvorak? .
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 27 March 2007 4:28:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, but I have used the Smetana system of typing.
Posted by shorbe, Tuesday, 27 March 2007 11:06:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
correct, the qwerty was designed to stop complaints against Remington for jammed keys, but why would you expect "logic" from the computer industry

the bigger abuse [to health] is that keyboards are for left handed people [ie number plus nav pads are on RIGHT - same as mouse for RH person] and this has caused millions in RSI [called OOS since 1990] in back problems [espec for people doing data entry]

I uctually took out a patent for RH keyboard in 1996 but alas I let it lapse but good news is a company actually "pinched" my design and I now have one of these keyboards and all my sciatica has long gone

as for qwerty matter, that is generally only for "copy typists" whereas most people are doing far more diverse things on a puter, mainly using mouse
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Friday, 30 March 2007 2:42:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I can understand talk of typing too fast being some justification for drama amongst old-time typistes, isn't that putting the cart before the horse? The typistes learned on qwerty keyboards, and then jammed the old mechanical typewriters when they became too fast.

As far as I knew the qwerty keyboard came about from an effort to put the most commonly available letters in easy reach, while the lesser ones are on the peripheries.
Posted by Viking, Saturday, 31 March 2007 6:18:46 PM
Regardless of which 'qwerty' has outlived its usefulness.
Dvorak is demonstrably the more efficient system and can bring real savings in time, energy and health.
So why stick with the outdated?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 1 April 2007 7:55:29 PM
well rather the whole gismo needs to be designed

having researched the whole issue when doing my patent [about 60 pages] the qwert vs dvorak is purely about the "keypad" as in an old typewriter, which is now just one part of a keyboard

DEC was first to make computer keyboards but no mouse in 1980 so the XT and then AT systems kept adding things like nav pad, number pad etc and just for the heck they put em on the right so when mouse came 90% put that too on RHS

need to start again - like number pad ar$e about telephone pad??, () keys need shift but little used [] dont?? - and we all use scroll lock and pause break errrr dont we? ie never WAS a design, albeit 10 years ago an ISO Standard was being developed but noit sure what happened

best is to use laptop and buy a USB number pad and put on left, linr your whole work bench up with H in middle and no more back pains
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Monday, 2 April 2007 9:48:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy