The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Higher education

Higher education

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Thanks Joe.

I've since discovered that apparently my biological heritage is mainly a mixture of Scottish and Cherokee...funny old world, in'it : )

Cheers.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 6 December 2011 11:30:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth
All I can add is what I have repeated on other threads in this forum over time, and that is that all manner of jobs regardless of 'skill or educational level' should be valued and respected.

Your views, as I interpret them, only perpetuates the narrow view that only those who work in roles requiring higher education are worthy or of 'value' in a society.

This is far from what my argument is, and simply put, education and skills training should be of the highest level, but not tertiary if it is not necessary. Universities were valued for their research and innovation as much as for churning out Degrees. It is a shame we have gone down this path.

Regarless of race, gender or class, as long as there is 'equal' access to educational opportunities I don't see the need for governments to interfere unless there is real disadvantage as there is in remote Indigenous communities. There are many issues as regards to disadvantage in remote communities that could not be fairly tackled on this thread which was ostensibly about gender disparity.

Self-fulfilment can be achieved in many ways. I don't see it as a negative for any person to be employed in skills or trades. Why is higher education used as the litmus test for success? How do you define success? Success is not only measurable in monetary terms.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 6 December 2011 4:27:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican This is snobbs hill. Trades or the unskilled do not come into it. if you want that sort of service you get one of the staff to organize it for you. I asked what an arts degree does for you yesterday , and they are still digesting that.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 6 December 2011 4:35:42 PM
'equal' access to educational opportunities
pelican,
as noble as this sounds it is also very unrealistic. Equal educational opportunity do not automatically translate into equal use of the opportunity. Far too many opportunities are wasted for the sake of education for education's sake. Too many non-deserving deny the deserving a good education as do incompetent teachers unquestioningly enforce useless curricula.
Education has become a vehicle for bureaucrats posing as teachers. It is also a vehicle for dumbing down the intelligent to not lose control & jeopardise consumerism. We do not have education anymore, we have teenage baby sitting. Those who still make it today will tell you that their education had sfa to do with their successes. It's their intelligence & pragmatism & logic not some silly indoctrination costing billions.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 6 December 2011 9:38:35 PM
what you say is right individual

i suggest people try reading
'the dumbing down of america[education] system'

but by the same measure
whats being taught to who

and why?
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 8:38:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual
You are correct in saying that equal access does not always easily translate into opportunities. My view is that tertiary education should be free as it was in years past with entry on merit. I know that is not the case now, but even though it might be difficult I have worked with many people in the public and private sector who are working and studying part-time. It can be done even with the added expenses of HECS and taking a longer time to complete.

Arts Degrees are not useless in my opinion. The value of education does not always come in a 'vocational' package, it is about learning the skills of research, writing and knowledge and I can think of many areas where these skills are necessary.

By contrast trades are valued more nowadays, many trades people now earning higher than average incomes compared to the lower wages of the past. My husband has never been to university and never finished Year 12, never worked in the public service and has in the past 15 years earned more money than myself and managed to support a family on one income while we raised children. It is not everyone's choice to go without to achieve this end but we did it together.

TBC...
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 8:47:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy