The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Not So Great Pretenders

The Not So Great Pretenders

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
My granddaughter, (aged 7), said, "Grandad, do you want to see me pretending to be you?"

"Sure," I said, preparing myself for an acute if probably disturbing insight into my personal behaviour.

She just went about her business.

I said, "When are you going to start?"

"I already have," she replied. "I'm pretending to be you pretending to be me."

Okay, I admit it, weirdness runs in my family.

But, by a torturous route that defies explanation, it got me to thinking about the state of our national politics. (It surprises me how much does these days. Perhaps it's the endless obsessing; onshore-offshore-liar-Mr No-'tis a tax-'tisn't a tax-getting-warmer-not-getting-warmer--nanya-na-nyana.

We've got Tony Abbott pretending to have a social conscience and handwringing over refugees' wellbeing, while Julia Gillard pretends to care about big business while pretending not to care about the unions.

We've got the Greens pretending to have serious policies just like the big boys and girls.

Then there's Bob Katter pretending he's actually leader of a party and should be taken seriously. Okay, forget about that last part.

Tony Windsor's pretending there's room for rational thinking in Canberra, while Rob Oakshott's pretending that somebody is actually listening to him.

As for Barnaby Joyce, he just pretends. Well, I hope he does because if what we see is the real BeeJay, then... No, it's just too awful to contemplate.

And somewhere in all of this, there's the Murdoch gang of tapdancers pretending do fair and balanced.

Last week we woke to hear Wayne Swan pretending that in assessing the world's economies, he and the G20 Ministers were "sober, realistic".

Look Swanny, you can be realistic about the train wreck you lot are dealing with, or you can be sober. But you can't be both.

Everybody is pretending to be somebody they're not.

And then it dawned on me.

We're being led by seven year olds.

Anthony
www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 9:56:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Newton's Laws of Political Motion:

1) All political bodies continue in a state
of dishonesty unless they are acted upon
by external forces to reveal that dishonesty.

2) The rate of change of momentum in the speed of
government business is proportionate to the
nearness of the next election.

3) To every political blunder there is an
equal and opposite cover-up.

(Taken from, "Political Pryorities: How to get on
top of Australian Politics," by Dennis Pryor.
A comical, critical, cynical, sceptical, ironical,
satirical dictionary of Australian politics.)
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 6:36:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Lexi,
I love it.
Newton scores again!
Anthony
www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 9:44:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
and the rule is
'fake it till you make it'

but in the end
we are only that we allowed ourselves to become

to be...is to be
what we were in that moment of time
in truth we are all on a path of change

i knew me when i was a baby
so i said..ok baby..a baby i will be

i said to me when i was crawling
a crawlwer i be..but i got sick of be-ing a crawler
so stood up right
like a man..

now i m even walking
but a walker i will never be

anyhow i made my point
but a pointer i can never be

every word we utter
ever deed we ever do
can only point at what we were
not what we will become

ok so your pretending..
trying to be what you hope to be-come

yes we know that your faking it
but let not ye..without faking..cast the first stone

yes were all faking it
but we arnt fakking it alone
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 29 September 2011 5:34:51 AM
There is also the Theory of Relativity:

Candidate: How can I be expected to know anything about my wife's/husband's/brother's/etc. financial affairs. What you may or may not have uncovered has nothing to do with me.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 29 September 2011 9:14:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The reality is that we are all puppets. Its just a matter of who is pulling our strings despite the idiotic notion that we control our own destiny.
Posted by runner, Friday, 30 September 2011 9:53:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy