The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Culture Classes

Australian Culture Classes

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Pelican I see your point, but in my defense in using the term indoctrination, one that may carry a negative connotation to some, I would surmise that these same refugees you allude to come from a system that employs indoctrination and propaganda. I am sure that these folks would be able to tell the difference between a political or religious indoctrination at gunpoint (which was the flavour you brought to their experience) and an indoctrination of a cultural overview of their new home.

Why is any imposition on migrants seen as castigation on that person because of heritage? All I said was that a mandatory course about Australia is needed rather than throwing them to the suburbs without a clue.

Our social welfare system wraps our citizens in newspaper and immigrants legal or otherwise in silk, and it doesn’t end there. Aussie citizens can go to the U.N but no Aussie advocate lawyer is waiting in the wings to make his voice heard, but illegal’s can go to U.N if our judicial system turns them down with a gaggle of social advocates pleading their case.

Pelican what is wrong with teaching migrants about the social and historical face of Australia...would it offend the...does it offend you.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 4 September 2011 11:44:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sonofgloin,
I cannot comment on any of that as I have no knowledge at all on those issues.

I do recall what we were taught at primary school and I remain convinced that our general knowledge of Australian history, society and literature was far supperior than that of the kids today.

I see the standards falling with the introduction of multiculturalism, when we were even told by some that we had no culture. The demise of teaching Australiana was not accidental, in my view.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 4 September 2011 11:47:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

Instead of blaming the education system and
multiculturalism in this country - why don't you
encourage your children to learn about your
copuntry's history yourself - if you think and feel
that things are so bad with the current education system.
Whinging about it won't achieve anything - do something
about it instead. I've always taught my children - nursery
rhymes, poetry, all sorts of stories,
Australian literature, et cetera -
(bought them books by the bucket -full), took them to
their local libraries, et cetera. I actively
participated in their lives and made them very much aware
of who they are and their history. Sometimes it's a parent's
responsibility to do something about things - if you
don't like what's happening around you - especially as
far as your children are concerned. Don't complain.
Correct it!
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 4 September 2011 12:09:38 PM
Lexi,

I absolutely agree that it is a parent's responsibility to provide information about these things to their children. So often in our system, parents are misled into assuming that children only learn things in school. If one stops to examine the situation, however, it's clear that a child's learning goes on all the time. I know that my own daughter is much more influenced in her adulthood by the information that was provided at home, her reading and the subjects she sort out for herself in her formative years than anything she learned in the institutional setting of school.

Parents need to be constantly reminded that they should look outside the square, and that they have much more influence than they realise.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 4 September 2011 12:47:41 PM
"Pelican what is wrong with teaching migrants about the social and historical face of Australia...would it offend the...does it offend you."

No but that is not what you were suggesting albeit probably worded not as you intended. It would offend me if some officious bureaucrat was attempting to indoctrinate me into some sort of behaviour modification program treating me as second class and assuming I can't think for myself even if my language skills were not the best.

You can provide information to migrants and refugees about Australia including history, legal structures, democracy, language, assistance with employment, access to health/education etc that help them to settle here without too many difficulties. But that is not indoctrination and those services are already in action.

The only obligation a migrant has is the same as any Australian citizen all equal under the Law; and that is to abide by the laws and failure to do so means consequences.

I don't agree with different laws for different groups as I believe all citizens should enjoy the same freedoms, rights and protections.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 4 September 2011 2:47:50 PM
Dear Poirot,

I have always believed in the importance of the role
that parents play in instilling traditional values in
their children. What is important is the content of our
children's hearts and minds, or what is often described
as character. As I've stated in the past - when we
say, "It's what's inside that counts," we speak a simple
but profound truth.

Books have always been a part and parcel
of my children's lives. I've tried to direct my children
to books that are age appropriate and geared to their
interests.

I believe that books are still the most
memorable artifact of childhood. They're not only good for
the child, they're a family resource beyond anything that
any medium has to offer. And to me, children's books remain
what the best of them have always been, a powerful transmitter
of the culture and the values of civilisation.

There are so many wonderful Australian children's stories
out there - all one has to do is go to one's local library.
And they're free.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 4 September 2011 2:51:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy