The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Species Extinction.

Species Extinction.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Kerryanne, I admire you tremendously. I think you're quite great!
Thanks to you and Everyone for all your support and inputs. I
appreciate it all. I don't always remember to Thank everyone - but
believe me I do take everything that's posted on board and to heart.
(That's why I sometimes spit the dummy - to posters that I feel are not logical - ah well, I guess we're only human and if the right buttons are pushed - we react). However, I find that on the whole
there's enough great people on this forum to balance things out.
That's why I keep coming back. Yay!

Keep on posting - please!
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 24 July 2011 11:34:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've just received the new booklet from IFAW - and was extremely pleased to read some of their achievements. Apparently the hunting of harp seal pups under 1 year of age, has been banned in Russia, thereby
saving something like 35,000 innocent lives a year. Also the European Union has placed a ban on seal products. The lack of demand for products is taking its toll on Canada's commercial hunts. Over 260,000 harp seal pups have been saved from slaughter last year.

IFAW's Asian Elephant Conservation Project in China was selected as one of ten programmes presented at the US Summit for Global Citizen Diplomacy in Washington, D.C. It was chosen from a strong set of nominees. IFAW's project is a model of human-elephant harmony in Yunnan, China, home of the country's last 200 wild elephants.

The Chinese government embraced IFAW's method of combining community development and conservation by distributing small loans to help farmers find alternative income-generating methods that don't compete with elephants for crop and land use. The local government allocated funds to support this model in the surrounding villages.

Last December, the utch Parliament passed a resolution insisting that
Iceland stop whaling and trading whale products if it wants to join the European Union. The resolution in the Dutch Parliament follows similar statements from the German and European Parliaments sending a strong signal to Iceland to end whaling.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 24 July 2011 11:54:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi,

I`m humbled but not convinced thanks:) As for the uplifting info on IFAW's i needed that.This thread is my sanctuary& after reading some of your other info- i actually slept a night!
Tried to put link up of another place my animal welfare friend & i purchased - but next time. Haven't been there in 3 years - pity & more funds needed to fight live exports& intensive farming.
Conservation & tbo are taking a back row to LE* IF. HATE the work but the plans divert to halal chilled & extensive Halal veggie farms for export to Saudi away from live. Its growing at a *rapid rate. Least that way we have say in Animal welfare.

Plan was to hand $ to rspca but now. Will find good people& fund them. Progress slow & frustrating.

Good news is most Muslims once involved are very active and extremely good fund raisers.If it fails- second plan u might not think me so great:)

Got thinking I could do an after life project. I came up with the coolest plan * i couldn't even get arrested:)

Even figured a way to carry out missions for *years. Find a lawyer stick heaps in trust- employ the right team and as A B C is done they get $ cool ah.

Meantime we need to hassle rspca again! to ask them to send letters to councils putting some bird baths in. We have another dry season ahead& many come looking for water.

I really enjoy your thread & it brings me peace to know there are some others who care about our creatures instead of sitting up all night plotting my evil deeds against live exporters.

One day Lexi the cruelty will stop towards animals. One day people will look back & talk about us as cruel barbarians. I know it wont make up for whats done but creatures will be respected as equals finally- *one day.

Goodnight
Posted by Kerryanne, Monday, 25 July 2011 3:27:48 AM
A BIRDS FIRST WORDS

If I were a bird, to utter my first word
I truly would wish to say you humans are absurd
With all us wonderful creatures: First, upon an un-polluted earth
You crowd us out, with too many a human birth
Then flock to the zoos with camera and kid
Our habitats ruined, This is what you did
Then fail to lay claim
our pending extinction:
Human population is to blame
When 'too' few a wise humans; in protest explain
The rest of you in unison resist and complain
If these humans dare to utter, without us animals you can't exist
The rest of you question: What are you, an activist?
The next time you visit a creature at the zoo
Ask yourself, without us whatever will you do?
C.R. Ying
North Carolina
Posted by Kerryanne, Monday, 25 July 2011 3:36:47 AM
Dear Kerryanne,

Thanks again - especially for the poem.
I wish you success in your work and
again - I hope to keep on reading your
posts for quite some time to come on this
forum.

"I never could understand
what prompts people
to take a drug
to make the dawn
seem more enchanting
or a sunset
outlive it's moment
of perfection -
I only know
the beauty God has created
is enough for me ..."
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 25 July 2011 11:13:48 AM
http://www.ucanews.com/2011/06/07/wildlife-rescue-scheme-a-success/

Wildlife rescue scheme success

Tribal people hunting wild animals

Wild animals in the northwest of the country put under threat by hundreds of mostly Christian tribal people hunting for food can now breathe easier thanks to a wildlife rescue scheme launched by the local government.

The Bangladesh Rural Development Board (BRDB), in conjunction with several NGO’s is providing poor tribal people with low interest loans to stop them hunting enable them to rear animals to eat.

The board has been issuing loans of up to 100,000 taka (US$1,429) since 2010 to tribal people in various sub-districts of Rajshahi, Chapai Nawabgonj and Naogaon districts.

Although the loans have been available since last year, the board formally launched the scheme on Saturday, to mark World Environment Day on June 5.

used loans to set up their own poultry livestock businesses.

It has encouraged many more to stop hunting thus many wild animals such as rabbits, squirrels, wild cats, foxes and various birds that were slowly disappearing have been saved.

“These people couldn’t buy meat or fish. So, they resorted to hunting which threatened wildlife. Now, that they can rear their own with the low interest loans, they’ve stopped killing wild animals and birds,” said Khorshed Alam, a BRDB official.

Some tribal people said hunting had become a traditional way of life, but things have become easier since they received the loans.

“I’m rearing chickens, ducks and goats at home with the loan and will never again rely on hunting,” said Robi Biswas, 40, a tribal Paharia Catholic.

Newton Biswas, 35, has gone into business.

“With the loan I set up a pig farm. I have ten workers and supply pork to villagers. I soon realized saving wildlife is our moral duty.”

The initiative has come in the nick of time according to Father Ignatius Bindu Hembrom, parish priest of Chandpukur parish in Naogaon, himself a tribal Santal.

“Hunting is part of tribal tradition. But they didn’t realize their food supply would end if all the wildlife was killed. They now know we need to create sanctuaries to save wildlife,” he said.
Posted by Kerryanne, Monday, 25 July 2011 5:24:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All