The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Turning Back the Boats,

Turning Back the Boats,

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Ah phoowey, I got the wrong decade in my first post. My reference to the early 90s should have been to the early 00s. Must be getting old or sumpthin!

So Aquarius, it begs the question as to just what you would have had Howard do. I can only guess that you’d have wanted him to simply accommodate all-comers with open arms, no matter how many, with completely open borders, with no detention and no character or refugee-status checks.

Would I be correct in this assumption?
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 10 July 2011 12:36:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Noisy, it begs the question as to just what you would have had Howard do. I can only guess that you’d have wanted him to simply accommodate all-comers with open arms, with completely open borders, with no detention and character or refugee-status checks.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 10 July 2011 10:23:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Noisy,
I make no bones about it, the 'illegals' that come by boat must be stopped. They are taking places that genuine refugees could have.

They are not refugees, they are shonks, who fly to Malaysia, on false or proper travel docs, then bribe and buy their passage to Christmas Island. Their whole being is to get here by deceit and then lie to our officials. The only reason we give them permanent residence is because they deliberately destroy their travel docs so we cannot send them back. If they were genuine they would fly here as it is safer and cheaper, and then apply for asylum.

I do not feel for these gate crashers at all, my emphaty is given to the genuine refugees, say in Burma, Malaysia and Africa.

First thing that must be done is to deny permanent residence to the illegals and not allow them the family reunion provisions. If genuine refugees in say africa have to wait 10 years to be assesed, then we should hold the illegal entrants 10 years before assesment.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 10 July 2011 11:08:16 AM
Dear Banjo,

They are not "illegal," they are entitled to seek asylum according to the agreement that Australia has signed. They are desperate people who risk their lives and those of their children to come in leaky boats, and undertake a dangerous sea journey - out of sheer desperation. If they were "shonks" as you claim - they would take the much safer option of coming by plane. They would not risk their lives
in this manner. They do so because they are desperate people and to date have all been found to be genuine refugees. You are buying into the political spin that has been bandied about by the low calibre politicans for their own mileage.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 10 July 2011 11:54:22 AM
Lexi,
You have allowed youself to be seduced by the propaganda.

It is illegal to enter Australia without a proper visa, that is the reason we can detain them. We do not detain legal entrants. Even the DIAC say they are 'unlawful entrants' and the UNHCR says that asylum seekers must obey a countries laws and the 'illegals' do not. My dictionary equats unlawfull with illegal.

The illegals do not fly here, even though it is far cheaper and far safer, simply because they are not likely to be granted asylum and we can assertain where they are from and send them back to where they boarded the aircraft. Air arrivals without docs are sent back within 72 hours and those with valid docs have only about a 20% chance of being granted asylum. That is why the gate crashers prefer to pay more and come by boat.

The illegals should not get advantage over genuine refugees, so why not make them join the 10-15 year queue here?
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 10 July 2011 12:15:33 PM
Hello Banjo,
You have got some of it wrong Banjo, if someone is genuinely seeking Asylum in our country they must be accepted for process, as it is with the first Rule of Marine Safety i.e. if people are in an ill-found boat which is foundering and breaking up we MUST go to their rescue, no matter what.
They may have arrived on leaky boats skippered by people of dubious character, that indicates to me the level of desperation., thankfully the immigrants who founded this great country were mostly criminals of various levels, either didn't have their 'say', and they were not fleeing a country where life was intolerable. I too am an immigrant, but we still had to have a job to go to (The head of the family) and a house to live in. Most immigrants came here for a want of a better life, and most of us found one.
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Sunday, 10 July 2011 12:40:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13