The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Emergency Telephone Responses

Emergency Telephone Responses

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Surely we all have story's, some night mare ones to tell.
Once country town Australia could talk to a local exchange, even know who was on both ends of the line and get help quick.
Queensland's recent tragic events are just the latest,its an every day event, to have to answer silly questions that could wait.
Wait at least until help is dispatched.
The young man ringing to ask for help, lost in the bush in rouged country.
Again and again this near death poor kid was asked for nearest cross street.
Even threatened with being hung up on if he did not give it, he died there without help even starting to look for him.
As an emergency radio monitor on many bush rally and horse enduro I have always introduced myself to every one I may need to ask for help done the work up front.
Years of running the communications room for the Australian Iron man [not now it has moved] I have had to deal with death and every possible problem.
Nothing frustrates more than to need to talk to a Victorian, about the need for an Ambulance, parked one klm away at the hospital, for the eight minutes it took to explain this was urgent.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 12:20:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
belly [in the middle of no-where
someone using the phone...wont be asked what street they are in

phones can be triangulated
at any given time our mobile phones
are known precicly where the phone is]

even better as long as there is a good battery in it
it is a bug...anyone knowing its number can listen in..i have previously posted the link/details..

emegency telephone rersponse..is only too easy
in normal times..[they got a majic book...
with the scripts all ready written..for every emergency

trouble being they dont use what they got wisely
times to revieve a reply in an emergancy
should be in seconds..

often..long minutes are wasted
..just trying to get through

there needs be instant response
advising them we know who you are
and where you are..[an ambulance is allready on its way]

there is nothing more you need top do
but if you dont now puch button one..we will send police too

ya gotta think smarter
catch up with teqnology
but were run by parties
doing god knows what
for who cares who..

they are too busy to think of
how to serve THE PEOPLE better

just criminalise their smoking
and get on with the nex big new tax
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 1:46:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I guess we've been lucky because we live in an urban area and at times when we had to dial 000, we've had quick responses. We do have elderly mothers who we worry about though - however we've had to invest in monitoring systems that will react in cases of emergency. I also believe that there are all sorts of telephones that can provide automatic dialing (example, for the disabled, elderly et cetera) as required. I'm not sure however - how these things work in rural areas or what sort of systems are available in these areas in cases of emergency.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 3:05:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OUG yourself assurance is miss placed.
Those sitting in a call center are not possessors of such technology.
And my story was a factual one,one of thousands upon thousands.
We, each of us have an obligation, to speak clearly in to the phone or microphone.
To gather out thoughts before ringing, have details such as what the problem is, as near as possible the location, remember the call center may be in any state of the country.
And is more likely to be , panic, demanding instant aid, is not helping.
But be assured, no matter how well you do your job, it will not be easy to get help.
Suburban or rural, trained telephone operators are more interested in doting the i,s and crossing the t,s.
000 is not operating as it should.
My time as radio operator on events, and first response to road trauma has seen time and again reluctance from operators to act without doing the paper work.
I left an early, and once very big, radio group set up to help via radio,contact police or needed help.
I was tasked to ask every silly question of those in need then answer every one my self before help left on its way.
Regular feed back,shared by others say it is getting worse not better.
The police officer in QLD raging at a woman for seeking help in the flood, a woman who was dead within minutes adds substance to my complaint.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 4:38:22 PM
We should all make our selves aware of both sides of this issue.
Every day triple 0 calls are made, often by children mums and dads defend, even say not from this phone.
There can be no doubt it is known what phone made the calls.
Bored brats, in every age group do it for fun.
They in fact kill.
The reason we wait, fight and complain about poor response is blamed on those calls.
I do not believe it is the only reason, lack of commitment, training and skills by operators is my guess.
How ever training needs to come from those who understand the problem, not just teachers repeating written words.
That Triathlon,Australian Iron Man, every Ambo police and firey had my phone number I had theirs .
We said good day before and during the event.
Every food and drinks stop had a radio and talked to me.
But only half had training.
A competitor died,his daughter was competing, his son in law too, his wife waiting near my radio room.
After a general warning was put out by me, all radios stand by please medical emergency in progress.
One station came back trying to tell every one who the dead man was, I blocked the transmission and again asked for silence
An order came from a lady she could not wait,, because she was out of Bananas!
So lets fix it but play our part in it too.
This country can do much better in acting on emergency's and local knowledge is worth the costs what ever they are.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 4:55:39 PM
My most annoyed was being told I was about to be put on hold and asking not to be. I had woken up to see a tall man leaving the room, someone was in my house and I was alone clinging to the doorknob keeping the door closed with one hand and clutching the phone in my other hand.

Yep they put me on hold. Amazing how instantly and completely alone it makes you.

Turns out he’d walked in and nicked my handbag and then left the premises and the police dog found my stuff down the road. The cow that put me on hold I’d like to smack. She also kept telling me to speak up after I explained I was being quiet because I didn’t think he saw me wake up and I didn’t want him to know I was up and on the phone to the police. Duh.

Wow Belly, what did you say to banana woman?
Posted by Jewely, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 5:07:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy