The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Immigration/Population/refugees

Immigration/Population/refugees

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
<< So what do we do, take no boat people >>

We implement strong disincentives for onshore asylum seekers, including temporary protection visas, mandatory detention and offshore processing. Howard was on the right track with all of this sort of stuff. That’s what we need to get back to, so that the rate of arrivals will fall right away to a trickle.

We cannot afford to have a non-detention, quick-processing, permanent-residence-when-accepted-as-refugees policy, as this would just promulgate and increase the pull factors, resulting in a greater rate of arrivals with no end to it.

There’s a much better way to help refugees / asylum seekers. Boost our intake as part of our formal immigration program and boost our humanitarian aid effort.

<< I Think our refugee in take should be only from over seas camps. >>

And from countries where we don’t have Australian humanitarian programs, if they are deemed to be of the highest priority.

I think that you are very much on the right track here Belly.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 29 April 2011 9:32:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will tell you about migration jewerly but note you too migrated.
Now as the eldest of my siblings it was clear I had to work.
9 tenths of my wages went to feed them.
My bush job went, Dad and mum gave me one days notice I was to get on an old steam train [the Cooma mail]and live in a city with my aunt.
Starting work the next day,separated at 15 from my family I made it,set the ground for the next migrant my brother.
But we said no keep family together, we all went.
For what reasons? a better life financial gain.
We fitted in same people just wore boots instead of shoes.
We went back to the bush with skills and money.
Overlook it if you must,call me racist, say I act shamefully, but I question the introduction of a culture that is alien to my way of life.
I understand but don't agree with politicians trying to please every one,the idea we should blend and become one big country shoulder to shoulder like one big city.
Politics is driven by growth,in power any party will pander to business wishes for more productivity/workers /consumers but that race dehumanizes us all.
Do not look for a greener Australia it never will exist population out of control makes for less green not more.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 30 April 2011 6:26:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<Politics is driven by growth,in power any party will pander to business wishes for more productivity/workers /consumers but that race dehumanizes us all.>

I disagree, Belly. Look at the slums of India: You will observe people working hard for a few cents an hour, child workers, squalor and stench, congestion, and a lack of services. The population is certainly constrained by a lack of resources, but to argue that this is dehumanising is like arguing that a lack of consumption makes you a greenie.

We would live just like those Indian slaves were it not for the infrastructure and education that founds our civilisation. So what is the per capita cost of the education and infrastructure for the Australian lifestyle?

I think that there needs to be an analysis of the cost of population growth. All too often I see growth proponents ignoring this constraint.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 30 April 2011 7:50:10 AM
hey fester
do you even read what you wrote

lol

''Look at the slums of India:
You will observe people working hard*
for a few cents an hour,..child workers,..squalor and stench,""

yes stench..a great encouragment
to work harder for your dole

the bilklionairs exploiting poverty
[as bad as monsanto and its collusion with money lenders
to send the cotton farmers broke..with egsorbitant intrest rates

30,000 dead gmo cotten farmers
only means heaps of farmland for a rich money lender to build a new estate

but back to your preferd working conditions

'stench.. congestion, working for pennies
and a lack of services.'

yes your chosing your own future hell mate
festering sores might'nt bother someone called fester

""The population is certainly constrained
by a lack of resources, but to argue that this is dehumanising is like arguing that a lack of consumption makes you a greenie.""

lol
your so blind son
but even a dead clock can be right twice a day

""We would live just like those Indian slaves""'

lol if it wernt for those like belly

""were it not for the infrastructure
and education that founds our civilisation.""

payed for by the working class
paying tax as they earn wages

when govt legislated for tax on income
WAGES arnt income..but the education system dont teach us any different

bosses get income
[income means proffits made from no value input
ie a boss reaping in his income into his tax free family trust

""So what is the per capita cost of the education
and infrastructure for the Australian lifestyle?""

do we include the cost of building school halls
or selling off publuic infastructure
for private 'income' for the elites?

I think that there needs to be an analysis of the cost of population growth. All too often I see growth proponents ignoring this constraint.
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 30 April 2011 8:27:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly:”Overlook it if you must,call me racist, say I act shamefully, but I question the introduction of a culture that is alien to my way of life.”

But that has never stopped happening in Aussie or any other country in the world, constant shift and change of populations and the introduction of new culture either aggressively or passively along with new and different ways of doing things.

The overwhelming opinion I’ve understood here on OLO from many that got to Aussie earlier seems to be one of fear, dislike, intolerance and a huge unwillingness to accommodate anyone new or even newly born here if of an unfamiliar culture.

It’s all good, your country, your opinion etc. I’m not overly sensitive to this stuff online having experienced it off-screen with a lot more hostility. I never got my questions answered so I’m going to go do some googling and see if I can work out this underuse of arable land thing here.
Posted by Jewely, Saturday, 30 April 2011 9:18:16 AM
We get a bit lost here Jewerly, I have never been racially vilified by a kiwi ,any color.
And disagree firmly with that constant change stuff.
My target is clear people from country's that share Muslim culture and religion SOME OF THEM.
within months telling us we are unacceptable.
Hate me for it but I have trouble telling the good from the bad Muslims, it is my belief as a not believer in ANY RELIGION we must not cede our freedoms to be as we are.
And I will not hide from my view, try living in some parts of my country and you may share my views.
Now how did my Friend above find support for growing population from me in this thread I started.
My comment recorded my views more want more people, for personal gains than put our country first.
Is it wrong? to say while the western world is leaving in large number its religions behind one is growing in power and influence?
And that some times that influence is purely dreadful, then put me in the bigots bin.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 30 April 2011 12:07:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13