The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mass Production and the Creative Instinct

Mass Production and the Creative Instinct

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. All
What happens to the human psyche when a society dispenses with the need for people to create?
What happens when daily life is not punctuated with the opportunity to fashion something useful out of base materials?

The Western lifestyle appears to be hurtling ever further away from the fundamental human need to engage in the creative process on a n instinctual level.

Just interested to know how people fulfill this basic need in a society that expects most items to be ready-made in the shops - and what, if any, psychological rewards are received from the act of creation on a personal level.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 24 March 2011 11:01:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot I truly think anyone who is not trying to create some thing is mentally dead already.
My creation post work is a huge garden, mostly flowers but inventive and grow most veges I eat.
Still find time to explore the net and doubt all of us will ever stop searching for better.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 24 March 2011 12:20:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot, I think that you are jumping to wrong conclusions, in your
haste to condem our present society.

Creative people continue to be creative as ever. Look at the most
popular tv shows right now, cooking shows! Millions watch, then
head off to buy their own ingredients and experiment. No more all
that bland Aussie food of 40 years ago.

Look at gardens and houses. Again people being creative, compared
to the bland looking 3 by 1 weatherboard of 50 years ago.

In fact alot of people are being more creative then ever, as due
to the global economy, power tools, materialas etc are cheaper
and more easily available then ever before.

The list goes on. Creativity in business, on the net, all increased.

Perhaps you need to rethink your theory, as it could be flawed.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 24 March 2011 4:15:27 PM
i am feeling far from creative
[listening to parlementry speeches
and name calling has that affect on me]

creation begins with the mind
it also ends in the mind..and
[often continues ..in the mind of the beholder]

mass production is one such process
that begins in the mind of one..
then goes into the mind of another..and another

each doing their creative bit..till it finally has been made...[a product]..

then the one who thunk it gets a little..
and the ones who made it get a little less
and the one who ...*only put in money
gets most of the money ..made from others desiring it

others who couldnt have thunk it
nor created it..nor had the money to make it

these i call the useless eaters
con-sumer's

all they do is buy stuff..that ensures more money is spent creating the same type of useless stuff..[and the good/usefull/needed stuff never gets built]

i gift my minds creative energies
even gift my bodilly energies
and my minds visions

yes there is clearly something wrong with my mind
but i guess..the fundamental human need to engage in the creative process on an instinctual level....is somehow being met

i am content..to know ..i tried to help others
even when many think it me ..that needs 'help'

""and what,if any,psychological rewards
are received from the act of creation on a personal level""

none
i feel its a duty
to try to give back

and try to help others
find their own ..creative outlets satisfied

[to help others feel ..they are helping others..
simply by asking opinion ..or trying to form opinion]
or see something beyond themselves..
or thier[our] own petty needs or greeds..

oh well
i tried

next
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 24 March 2011 4:16:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Poirot,

I'm a theatre goer and I still find inspiration and entertainment in
just about every production that I see. To me, theatre is alive and well in Melbourne. Last night we went to see the musical, "Mary Poppins." It was simply stunning. Of course, the creation of a production like the one we saw requires more than just talented individuals. Artistic production is a social process, for the form that the creativity takes, and the amount of acceptance it wins, are deeply influenced by the surrounding cultural environment. Judging from the full-house of last night's production - it proves that Melbourne audiences are willing to support something that they feel is worthwhile. The point that I'm trying to make is that artistic success depends not only on what the artist produces, but also on what the audience of the time and place in question is willing to accept.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 24 March 2011 6:01:40 PM
An interesting question Poirot. I think that modern life leaves little time for creativity at all.

It is easy for us all, to get in the comfort zone, and cruise through life. In fact thats whats most of us, end up doing. The connection between true creative essence and humankind, is waning , most definitely.

I would go so far to say, that it is possible that the true connection between creativity and the human spirit, is at risk of extinction.

Sounds emotive I know Poirot, but you had to be there. To experience the real nature of creativity. Which in essence, is new ideas in practise, just for the sake of it.

In my case, I have only experienced glimpses of valuable musical creativity in my own field
occasionally and understand my limitations, never once having had the ecstasy of having a really big idea, but I know how I could have one.

It just comes to you.
Posted by thinker 2, Thursday, 24 March 2011 9:02:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy